|William Tugwell was the third son of Humphrey and Elizabeth. His death on Christmas Day 1774 is recorded on the memorial to his parentsin Holy Trinity Church in Bradford. There is an entry in the church records for his burial and that of his son Daniel shortly afterwards. The paintings of his parents and brother Thomas are by Thomas Gainsborough. They were probably painted prior to his wedding to the heiress Betty Hayward of Freshford in 1765. These can still be seen as Sandford Orcas near Sherbourne, where the owner Sir Mervyn Meddllycott is a descendant of the marriage of their daughter Betty to Sir William Coles Meddlycott of Venn House in 1796. He was a Clothier like his father and was church warden at Holy Trinity between 1771-1774.|
Tugwell (1704-1775) |
Humphrey Tugwell, born in 1704, was apprenticed to Matthew Smith of Bradford, clothier, in 1720. He became a very successful clothier in his own right and held properties in Pippett Street (now Market Street), Woolley Street, and "Goodbys" in Church Street, also a dye-house and mill. He purchased Methwins (Priory House) in 1763 and his family lived there until 1811 when the property was sold to John Saunders. Humphrey was churchwarden at Holy Trinity 1751-1755, 1774-1773. He married Elizabeth JONES, daughter of Daniel Jones of Bradford, a dyer. (Elizabeth had two brothers, Daniel (1724- 1772) of Bradford, an apothecary, and William). Humphrey and Elizabeth had seven children.
Tugwell (1711-1801 )|
Elizabeth Tugwell died on 7th June 1801 and was buried on the 15th June 1801, at the great age of 90 years. Her obituary read: 'In whom the poor experienced a constant and liberal benefactress.' By a codicil in her will, dated July 12th 1799, Mrs Elizabeth Tugwell left £100 the interest of which she directed to be divided among Forty old and infirm persons, of the Parish of Bradford, on the fifteenth day of January in each and every year. This TUGWELL'S CHARITY is recorded on a black painted board in the Choir Vestry.
|Record of Burial of William & Daniel Tugwell at Holy Trinity Church, Bradford.|
|Holy Trinity Church, Bradford.signatures of William & Humphrey Tugwell as Church Wardens|