The 19 th Century Building

19th Century additions George Hayward Tugwell, the great grandson of Robert Hayward, a wealthy Bath banker, sold the house in 1796 to Thomas Joyce. Thomas had made his fortune from the mechanisation of the woollen industry and had a number of Mills and Workshops which include nearby Dunkirk Mill. By 1807 he had purchased most of the village from the Methuen's and was to employ the Bath Architect John Pinch to restyle the house. Pinch was to give the house the appearance of a Regency terrace similar to a number he had designed mainly in Widcombe. Almost all of these , which include New Sydney Place, Sion Hill Place are part bow fronted. At Freshford he built a higher central block and placed a bow on the earlier 18 th Century building. At the rear of the house was added another wing which had a narrow passageway linking the older cottage. He was to undertake similar projects at Bishopstrow House, Babbington House and Corsley House which all have the characteristic Bow front. The house now faced down the Avon Valley overlooking property which was mainly owned by Thomas Joyce.
A birds eye view of the Manor showing the new wing and passage way that connected the old cottage to the House
This Plan shows the additions (orange shading) that the architect- John Pinch added to the original house(light blue shading).
This view is unchanged since the times of the Joyces. It shows the blocked in windows at the front, the remodelled bow window, and the higher middle section to the right of the picture