The 18 th Century Building
The present day Freshford Manor was begun after 1718. It was in this year Joseph Davison died at the age of 88 and the Methuen's sold his former house then known as “Pittes Place” with 4 acres of land to Robert Hayward. Robert was a Clothier from Evercreech, near Shepton Mallet who had just received a large inheritance and with part of this he employed the Bath Architect and Mason-Thomas Greenway to design a new Paladian House which he set back from the old house which was retained as a store for his Wool.
Thomas Greenway was an architect as well as mason practising from c1704 until c.1727, who built a number of houses in and around Bath which included St. Johns House (now part of the Theatre Royal) and General Wolves House in Trym Street, which are very similar to Freshford Manor. Today the 5 bay front has survived, but the 7 bay elevation only partly exists and the coat of arms which would have been above the front door have worn away. The separate cottage is earlier and was described as a ”Scribbling Loft” on a 1727 Insurance Policy.
|The Manor at it would have appeared to the Haywards, the 5 bay front can still be seen only sections of the 7 bay elevation exist today.opposite is a floor plan of the original house, with the cottage completely separate at that time.|