17th Century - the Davisons of
Richard and Alice Le Peyt are recorded as owners of a house with 50 acres of lands
in Freshford in 1309. The remains of this building still exist near the entrance
and is referred to as Pittes Place in 1603 when it is given by Henry Davison to
his son. This family live here until Joseph dies in 1716 aged 88 years. The earlier
building would have been rebuilt in Tudor Times as sections of fine mullioned
windows have been found on the site. The 1666 Hearth Tax for the village shows
it having 9 , John Ashe's House( now Peradins) has 11 and the Parsonage (Gowan
House) with 5 hearths.
18th Century - the Haywards
of Freshford House
In 1718 Robert Hayward employs the Bath architect-Thomas Greenway to build a fine
Palladian mansion set back from the former Davison's House-Pittes Place which
he had purchased from Anthony Methuen. This new building is now known as Freshford
House. Further land is purchased and the property descends through his son to
his granddaughter-Betty Hayward, who marries the wealthy William Tugwell in 1765
19th Century - the Joyces of Freshford
Betty's son –George Hayward Tugwell rents the house to Henry Fisher from Limpley
Stoke until 1795. It is sold the following year to local boy made good-Thomas
Joyce. He employs the Architect-John Pinch to greatly enlarge the house and alter
its orientation so it faces down the Avon valley. After his death in 1817 the
house is rented out to a number of illustrious gentleman including Sir William
Napier and Sir Walter James.
20th Century - the Huths of Freshford
The Huth's were members of a wealthy Banking Family who buy the house in 1886
from Thomas Player Isaac, an architect, who has added new wings and a conservatory.
He renames the house-Freshford Manor.
With the departure of the Huths in 1913 changes in the appearance of the house
were few, apart from the removal of the damaging ivy which had covered the outside.