A History of St. Andrew`s Church, Charmouth

Click on image or on Home to return back.
Window 2 depicts Jesus at Nain stopping funeral procession of Mother taking her son to be buried. Ref. Nain, St.Luke Ch.7 v 13.
In Caram Memoriam/ ANDREW TUCKER OB. 24th Deer. 1868, Aetat 49.
The Tuckers are related to Coades and Culverwells of Newlands, Charmouth. Andrew Tucker was Rector of Catherston from 1818. Andrew Tucker was a Solictor in Charmouth in 1866
Memorial in Lyme Regis Church
1861 Census

"The Cottage". Although "The Cottage" is one of the oldest houses in the village there is very little to relate about its history. The deeds only date from 1795 when Thomas Bidwell mortgaged the house to Joseph Bragge. It referred to a lease for 800 years dating from 1729, but by whom is not known. It was owned in 1799 by William Juson when he also owned "Backlands Parm", and left it to his servant Hannah Hunter for her life, who died in 1845- (was she a daughter of John Hunter?). In 1862 the owner was Andrew Tucker who rebuilt the stables employing Samuel Dunn and William Hoare.
Horizontal triangular section stone slab.cross on top on plinth with iron railings.
South Face In memoriam of/ELIZA LOCKYER the wife of/ANDREW TUCKER Esq. a resident of Charmouth/she died on the 2 nd August 1865/in the 32nd year of her age.
"On Tuesday, Job Gordges, sexton of Charmouth, was bought before the county magistrates at Beaminster, charged with robbing the contribution box in Charmouth Church. Mr Andrew Tucker, solicitor, said: I am the rector's Churchwardens for Charmouth Parish. About a month since, I was informed by the rector that the contribution box in the church had been repeatedly robbed of money. I communicated with Mr M. Hale, when it was arranged that I should mark certain silver coins in the presence of police constable Hawker. I marked one half crown, two one shilling pieces, and two sixpences, which the constable, with myself placed in he contribution box. About a fortnight subsequent, on looking into the box, I found the whole of the money was gone. I then saw police constable Hawker, and informed him of it. I then arranged with the constable to mark a half sovereign, and one shilling, which I did in his presence, on Sunday, 7th June, by marking a cross with my knife on the tail of the coin, just underneath the crown. On Monday, the 8th June, I placed the half sovereign and shilling, so marked in the box. The prisoner, his daughter, and the wife of Job Gordges, we're in the church, cleaning it out. After they left to go to dinner, about half- past one o' clock, I went into the church, and opened the box, and there found the half sovereign and shilling untouched. On going into the church, last night, after the church had been locked up by the prisoner, and on again, opening the box, I discovered the half sovereign and shilling had been abstracted. I went to police constable Hawker, and accompanied him to the prisoners house, and there found the half sovereign now produced, which is the same as the one marked, and placed in the box. Police Constable Hawker said: On Sunday the 7th instant, I apprehended the prisoner, and on searching his house, the wife produced some money, and amongst it, the half sovereign now produced, and which is the same as I saw Mr Tucker mark and put in the box. The prisoner said: I received a sovereign some time ago from Mr John Carter, the postmaster, of Charmouth, and the same day changed it at Mr Holly's, at the Coach and Horses Inn, and received, in part change, the half sovereign found in my house. the prisoner was committed for trial, but bail was consented to." 7th June 1873