St. James Church.Bath.
An illustrated look back at its Past.
|Until 1957 there was St James’s church, rebuilt by Jelly & Palmer 1768-9, altered and with a new Italianate tower by Manners & Gill, 1848 (gutted in air raids 1942). Behind, St James Street South had several pre-Wood listed houses. These were demolished to make way for the Marks & Spencer building, 1961 (additional storey, 1970) by Monro & Partners and the (former) Woolworth Block by W. B. Brown,1961, both fronting on to the E side of Stall Street.|