Scroll down or click on Home to return back.
Use Search engine below to find more pages.

THE WEB CHARMOUTH SITE
Littlecote, Lower Sea Lane, Charmouth
 
from Left to Right - Littlecote, Carrum, Beech House, Wilton House Coach and Horses and St. Andrews Church in 1870.
The same view today with rebuilt Coach and Horses.
from Left to Right - Sandford, Littlecote, Carrum, Beech House, Wilton House Coach and Horses in 1870.
The same view today with rebulit Coach and Horses.
LIttlecote, Carrum and Beech House today.Te extension to Carrum can clearly be seen, when it was owned with Beech House by John Hodges who linked the two houses. .
A photo taken by English Heritage on the 3rd June 2006. Its listing in 1960 is :
Single villa, c 1830. Stone walls, stuccoed. Low pyramidal slate roof. Rendered brick stacks at projecting eaves. Two to each side. 2 storeys. 2 windows, sashes with twin glazing bars. Front door at right hand in porch adjoining Carram, wood with 4 panels. Original wooden trelliswork entrance to porch. Elliptical-headed trellis door with lozengy pattern throughout. Square cast iron gate piers to street with running scroll pattern and pineapple finials.
The 1783 Map of the village surveyed by James Upjohn of Dorchester is lost but the detailed record book has survived. The listing of the Glebe, Church, Coach and Horses, Beech House are shown on the left. On the right is the more accurate 1841 Tithe Map Listing below the map shown above. It is interesting to see that if the acreage of the lots on the left are added that they add up to 3 acres 1 rood 27 perches in 1783 and 3 acres 2 roods in 1841 - surprsingly close considering! On the other side of Lower Sea Lane, the three fields including the house where John Hodges lived is 4 acres 2 roods in 1783 and 4 acrss 5 perches, again similar.
 
The above plan was found in an Indenture amongst the deeds relating to Littlecote when William Edwards sold Beech House with its extensive gardens and adjoining 3 acre field for £1100 to Isaac Cooke from Bristol in 1829. Issac shortly afterwards sold Beech House to Miss Kennaway for £500 and a strip of land facing the Street to William Hoare for £210, where Sandford, Littlecote and Carrum were later built. The map below the plan is from the 1886 Ordnance Survey with the various buildings shown as they are known today.
Description of strip of land from Beech House to Sea Lane that was bought by William Hoare from Isaac Cooke for £210 in 1843. He was to divide this into three and keep the end plot for Sandford Cottage and sell the middle plot to Samuel Dunn, his father in law soon after for £95. The third plot was bought by John Hodges, the butcher, who was to later buy Beech House.
 
IN December 1844 Samuel Dunn took out a mortgage for £150 on Littlecote, whch had been built and let to Miss Henning by then. He was paying 5% interest on the loan.
The following year Samuel Dunn took out a larger mortgage with John Attwood of Hylands Park, Essex for £300 and paid back the earlier mortgage from part of the proceeds.
Beech House,Winton House, Littlecote, Carrum and Sandford were to be built soon after 1843 by Samuel Dunn and his son in law, William Hoare and the 1841 Tithe Map is useful as it shows the earlier building, which was to become Beech House before it was radically altered and Winton House built adjoining it. There is a jump to the 1887 Ordnance Survey Map, which is the next detailed map of the area. It shows all 5 buildings and the adjoining Meadow is now Tennis Courts, which still stand on the same field today.
There is very little in the way of changes to be seen from the maps above in the plans of the five hpuses, since they were built after 1843.
In 1958 Sandford House was bought after the death of William Little and his wife by Dorset Council, who demolished the building completely to allow wider access to Lower Sea Lane from The Street by traffic.
A photograph of the attractive rear of Littlecote taken in 2015 from the Sales brochure, when the property was put up for sale.

The property now called Beech House may well have been on the site of the original Rectory for the incumbents at the nearby Church. But they were eventually to choose to live in more lavish buildings with Edward Bragge at Luttrell House and then William and Brian Coombe at a house where Devonsedge is today. By 1744 it is owned by Hannah Newberry who is landlady of the adjoining Three Crowns Inn. She rents it to her son, in law, Thomas Edwards, who is a Butcher and rents the Glebe lands from the Church, which includes the 3 acre adjoining field. HIs son, William Newberry Edwards inherits both the Inn and Beech House and by 1790 an insurance policy in that year shows him as a Butcher, renting the Three Crowns to Joseph Bradbeer. An advert for 1810 clearly describes the Brick House with its 3 acre field. Everything was to change in 1829 when he remarries Sophie Morgan, whose late husband had run the George Inn, and sells up and moves away from the village. As a result the Inn is bought by the Bridport, Brewers - Gundries and Beech House with its 3 acre field by Bristol Attourney, Issac Cooke. He then sold the house to Miss Kennaway and the land to William Hoare. William Hoare then sold the first plot to John Hodges in 1843 who subsequently had Clarence Villa built, the second plot to Samuel Dunn who built Littlecote and retained the third plot for the building of Sandford Cottage.

Isaac Cooke was Patron of Charmouth Church from 1826 until 1839, during the occupancy of Glover and Hales as Rectors. He lived in Clifton and was a Solicitor and at one time Mayor of Bristol. This was also where the Reverends Thomas Snow and William Glover originated from, as well as several other inhabitants. He bought Beech House from William Edwards and may well have rebuilt it at the same time as the Rectory as they are very similar as shown by the doorway illustrated here. The 1831 Poor rates show Isaac Cooke living and owning Beech House, with Thomas Snow living in the new Rectory and renting a field from him, which was probably the piece of ground Sandford House, Littlecote and Carrum House were later to be built on by Samuel Dunn.
Isaac Cooke was only there briefly as the 1841 Tithe map shows it unoccupied and soon after John Hodges, the butcher moves in and opens his shop in the adjoining Winton House. In 1835 Isaac gave £100 towards the building of the new Church, the largest amount donated. He died in 1852 aged 81 at Windsor Terrace in Clifton. His son, of the same name continued in his business and was Mayor of Bristol in 1857. An advert below shows their involvement with promoting one of the many Railway companies attempting to link Charmouth with Bridport & Lyme Regis.

The building and letting "Littlecote" in 1844 by Samuel Dunn to Miss Henning for £25 a year. Mr. Bidwell`s House was The Lilacs, now Charmouth Lodge. Elizabeth Henning must have bought the House off of Samuel Dunn in 1845.
" Memorandum made the.. day of ..1844 between Samuel Dunn, Builder and Miss Henning, both of Charmouth in the County of Dorset. Samuel Dunn doth herby .. and let unto the said Miss Henning a now building with garden and a pump of water situate in Charmouth opposite Mr. Bidwell`s for the term of one year certain for the rent of £25 per year. The House to be finished by Michaelmas day September the 29 th 1844 and also the rent to commence from the same 29th day of September, and the rent to be paid yearly, and the said Miss Henning doth agree to take the said House of Samuel Dunn for one year certain and at the rent afore mentioned and she will at her own cost and charges make good or cause to be made good and put unto the same good condition and order as when entered upon."

Samuel Dunn was born in Sherborne and when he moved to Charmouth lived and had workshops where Peria is now, which he rented from Robert Knight. The Record Office at Dorchester has his Day Book, which records the people living in the village at the time and jobs he was doing for them. It is very descriptive. He built the cholera house in 1834 which cost £24.
Mr. Burnard, well known in the village in the 1830s and a great supporter of the chapel, apparently had an unpleasant smell in his house and on November 1st. 1834 Dunn had to take down cosings, whatever that was, and found a dead rat. His charge was 1/4 and 6d for nails and tacks. He did a great deal of work at Catherston for Mr. and Mrs. Rose, throwing Timber. He repainted the chapel in May of that year, and spent many hours in the church which was beginning to show signs, of decay. He was also an undertaker. His wife was Charlotte Jefford of Uplyme and they had a, daughter - Eliza - who married his carpenter William Hoare. His workmen were many, amongst them were Andrew, Phillip, his brothers and his father, also William Hoare and Wheaton. Hoare was a clever carpenter and made the model of the old church. He lived, if he did not build it, in “Portland Cottage”. Dunn afterwards went to live in the Axminster Road and his workshop was owned by John Alwood. His chief work was being clerk of the works when the church was being built. Sadly, he appears to over extended his resources and went bankrupt in 1848. He was to die not long after in 1852 aged 60 in Dorchester.

This report is from the Committee in London that looked into the Election in Lyme Regis in 1848. Samuel Dunn, was one of many witnesses from Charmouth that appeared.

Insolvents,
Samuel Dunn, of Charmouth, supported by Mr. Smark, and opposed by Mr. Andrew Tucker, obtained his interim order on the understanding that he is to file an account of the proceeds of a sale of a house to Miss Biffin, and an auctioneers account of the sale of his furniture under an execution in December last.
15 July 1848 - Western Times - Exeter, 

An Extract from the Will of Elizabeth Hennings, Spinster of Charmouth, 1752, where she appints her brother, John Henning and Brother in Law, Charles Castleman, Esq. and gives to her niece, Sophia Nares Henning daughter of her late brother, Charles Masterman Henning Esq. her house. She was to die, aged 69 in 1883 ande was buried in St. Andrews Church, where her and her nieces Tomb and memorial stand today.
 
 
 
 

In memoriam ELIZA loving wife of/WILLIAM HOARE, and only child of SAMUEL and CHARLOTTE DUNN, late of this Parish, who died November 28 h 1883,aged 69 years.”Not lost but gone before”And in/loving remembrance of WILLIAM HOARE who departed this life April 30 th 1888 aged 78 years.

 

Sacred to the memory of Suzannah Lucretia, wife of Charles Masterman Henning, of this parish, esq. second daughter of the late Hon. Sir George Nares, one of his majesty’s Judges of the Court of Common Pleas. She departed this life December 25th1818, aged 55, leaving one son and one daughter.This Memorial to Sophia Hennings parents can be seen in Wells Cathedral

The family seat of the Hennings was Woodsford Castle, near Dorchester. shown above in this beautiful engraving.
1851 Census:
shows Eliza Henning, aged 64, A Fund Holder with Elizabeth Diment, aged 30, a House Servant, which would have been Littlecote.
A House Uninhabited.
Louisa Griffith Unmarried , aged 55, Born in Gittisham, Devon and Mary Lane, Srvant, aged 55 from Warwick.
William Greenslade, Clergyman, Born in Guernsey.
John Hodges, Butcher.
1855 Directory with an Entry for the Miss Goddards
1861 Census:
shows Martha Sophia Henning aged 58 born in Whitchurch, Dorset is living in Littlecote
Unoccupied House
Sarah Duck aged 33 a Teacher
Mary Goddard aged 50 Fundholder, Louisa Goddard, Sister, aged 48, Fundholder, both born in Salisbury.
John Hodges aged 50 Butcher
1871 Census:
shows 2 Unoccupied House
Richard James aged 35 Late Captain in Militia
Louisa Goddard aged 60 Annuitant
John Hodges aged 60 Butcher
List of Vistors for 6th October 1876 in the Bridport News shows Miss S. G. Henning staying at Miss Hennings (Littlecote), D. Sillar Esq. at Clarence Villa ( Carrum) and R.S.C. Sillery and family at Sandford Cottage
CHARMOUTH. Death of Miss Chard —We regret to record the death Miss Chard, which tookk place after few days illness at the residence of Miss Henning on Sunday morning last. The deceased lady resided with Miss Henning for a great many years and was very much respected both by rich and poor.17 September 1880 - Bridport News 
1881 Census:
Sandford Cottage - Unoccupied
LIttlecote: Martha P.Henning.Unmarried, aged 78, Lady, born in Whitchurch. Harriet Norris, Visitor, unmarried, aged 68, Lady, born in South Petherton. Louisa Haines, married, aged 50,Servant born in Ilminster. Maria Trin? Unmarried, aged 16, Servant, Rocombe, near Lyme.
Clarence House (Carrum): shows George Mortimer (aged 38) originating from Morchard Bishop in Devon as a Merchant employing 9 hands. He is married to Mary Ann (aged 38) from the same village. His wifes sisters, Shura and Louisa Reed are Drapers Asssistants and her brother, Henry is a Working Jeweller. He employs Henry Radford and George Ashton as Grocers Assistants.
 
Both Eliza Henning and her niece were buried in the Church Yard of St. Andrews the photographs above record their graves and inscription. Sacred to the memory of ELIZA HENNING who died March 18 th 1854 in peaceful dependance on her Divine Redeemer
Also to SOPHIA NARES HENNING niece of the above who entered into rest Jan 8 th 1886 aged 84 "There remaineth a rest of the people of God

An Abstract from the 1895 Poor Rates showing ownership and occupiers of properties in order with their rentable values below. It would seem that Edward Archer Vince who ran Charmouth Stores oin the opposite side of The Street was renting it from John Edwards.

Sandford - Unoccupied - Frank Radford - House and Garden - Charmouth Street - £25
Littlecote - Edward Archer Vince - John Edwards - House and Garden - Charmouth Street - £25
Carrum - Harriett Goddard - George Mortimer - House and Garden - Charmouth Street - £25
Beech House - Eliza Wild - Richard Hodges - House and Garden - Charmouth Street - £25
Winton House - Alfred Stanton - Richard Hodges - House Shop and Yard - Charmouth Street - £17
Coach and Horses - Alexander Cox Pagan - Executors of Job Legg - House and Yard - Coach & Horses - £50
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1915 - 1922 Percy Roger Middlecot Davies
1927-1938 Miss Edith Pargiter
1938 - Mr Parkins pays £1020 for ittlecote
1939 - Samuel Robert Farrant
1946 - Harry and Cecil Havis
1955 - Olive Farrant & Havis
1975 - Martin & Olive Farrant
1980 - Harry and Cecil Havis
2003 - Keith Lander
2015 - Tom Tidy
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is the Jury List for Charmouth in the year 1913. Percy Roger Davies was at that time renting Littlecote which at that time was named "Sabina"He married Mary Mandull in 1912 and was born in 1873
The Reverend Robert Pargiter, aged 96 lived in Beech House with his two daughter Rosaline aged 46 and Edith Blanche in the year of the 1911 Census. His daughter were to pay £850 in 1922 for the freehold of nearby "Littlecote", at that time they were living at Mount House in Charmouth. Their father died in 1915, aged 98. Rosaline died in 1927
Kelly`s Directory for Charmouth in the year 1927 shows Godfrey Haggard at Beech House, George Hodges at Clarence Villa (Carrum), Colonel William Campbell Little at Sandford Cottage and the Misses Pargiters at Littlecote. On the right is Kelly`s Directory for 1931 with Peter Marshall now at Clarence Villa.
Edith Blanche Pargiter died in 1938 and her house was put up for Auction by the Trustees.
CHARMOUTH RESIDENCE.
Acting for trustees of the late Miss E. B. Pargiter. Messrs W. Palmer & Co. and R. & C. Snell, of Axminster, sold by auction, at the premises on Wednesday, the small freehold residence and ground, known as " Littlecote," Charmouth. Mr. G.H. Parkins, of Charmouth, was the buyer at £1,020. Subsequently the auctioneers dispersed the contents of the residence, comprising some 300 lots, in good time at satisfactory prices. Messrs. Wm. Forward & Sons, of Axminster, were the solictors.

 01 July 1938 - Western Gazette - Yeovil, Somerset, England
Sandford Lodge 134 Little William 26th Feb. 1875 Colonel Indian Army Retired
    Little Margery 30th Dec 1887 Unpaid Domestic
    Church Ann 12th Aug 1904 Unpaid Domestic
    Partington Agnes 28th Sept 1918 Cook Domestic
Littlecote 135 Favant Samuel 12th Feb 1909 Motor Driver Mechanic
    Favant Olive 29th July 1908 Unpaid Domestic
    Havis Agnes 30th Aug 1873 Unpaid Domestic
    Havis Harry 17th Apr 1902 Unpaid Domestic
    Havis Cecil 25th Mar 1912 General Labourer
    Webster Ada 26th Mar 1913 Motor Mechanic
    Wiscombe Leslie 4th Oct 1935 Under School Age
    Cheney Fred 5th Nov 1915 Bread Baker Journeyman
Clarence Villa 136 Hunt Marian 22nd July 1882 Unpaid Domestic
Beech House   Mabson William 1st Apr 1867 Captain 4th Battalian
    Mabson Agnes 27th Mar 1893 Unpaid Domestic
    Mabson Veronica 9th May 1912 Unpaid Domestic
    Revell Agnes 17th June 1856 Unpaid Domestic
    Baker Margaret 27th Nov 1909 Unpaid Domestic
    Stroud Beatrice 10th Mar 1910 Domestic Servant
A Census was carried out in the village in 1939 which is shown above. It would appear that the Favant and Havis family were living at Littlecote.
An enlargement of the Charmouth Home Guard Group - centre
Back Row-Jerrard, Matthews, Holman, White. Middle Row-Cecil Havis ( who lived at Littlecote) ,Spurdle,Loosemore, Rendle. Front Row-Aldworth, Marston, Herbert.
The "Charmouth unit was formed by Colonel William Little who lived in the Sandford, the house on the comer of The Street and Lower Sea Lane, as Commanding Officer. The platoon consisted of World War 1 veterans, youngsters awaiting call up and men in reserved occupations. I joined in August 1940. About 20 - 24 men were involved.I recall that initially we just had armbands with L.D.V. on them. .It was not long before we had battledress uniforms and some American 0.300 rifles".
An extract of an article by John Thomas in Shoreline Winter. 2019:
"My father’s elder sister, Doris, was born and raised in Lawrenny, Pembrokeshire, as he was, and also lived in the village. Dad’s first job was footman at Catherston Manor, at that time owned by Col. Bullen. Doris was cook housekeeper to Col. & Mrs. Campbell Little, who lived in Sandford Cottage, now demolished, on the corner of Lower Sea Lane. Mrs. Little died in 1947 and Doris continued looking after the Colonel until his death in the early 1960s.His identical twin brother, Matthew, lived in Vancouver and whenever he visited Charmouth, he and the Colonel attended morning service at Church wearing top hats and frock coats. After Col. Little’s death at the age of 91, Doris moved to Beech House lodging with the Mabsons and worked for Bishop Williams at 2 Hillside. Doris died in 1989, aged 87. The Union Flag covered her coffin in recognition of her work with the Royal British Legion Pop
".
Charmouth Fire Brigade in the 1950s.
Back Row:Cecil Stork, Dennis Gerrard, Ernest Hutchings, Cecil Havis, Bert Smith
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
An aerial view of Littlecote after Sandford Cottage had been demolished.