A History of Bindings, 8 St. Margaret`s Street, Bradford on Avon
|8 Margaret`s Street is on the right of this photograph c.1900|
|The land this house
stands on was part of that owned by Zachariah Shrapnell, he married Lydia Needham
in 1753, they had several children including two daughters, the eldest Elizabeth,
born 1757 married Rev. William H Warren in 1794. They probably only had one son
in 1795 and called him Zachariah Shrapnell Warren, his mother died the following
year. The Land Tax Assessments for the borough show Zachaiah Shrapnell assessed
on lands of £24, paying £4-16-09 (in 1782), he died in 1796 and Mrs
Shrapnell was the owner the following year, but she also died that year of 1797.
In 1798 the properties are shown divided between Henry Shrapnell Esq ., and the Rev. Warren paying £2-10-9d each. No . 8 Sty. Margaret's Street was part of that owned (in trust no doubt for his son) by Rev. W. N. Warren. The records for the assessment and collection of the Poor Rate and the Church Rate are listed in Streets for the first time from Easter 1808 in the Town.
In St. Margaret's Street the compiler or collector started in what later was called Bridge Street, which included what is now the Georgian Wine Lodge, owned by Margaret Miles, the wife of William Miles and he owned the Queen's Head known to us as the Three Gables. Thomas Beale was the tenant of what was formerly the Liberal Club and Richard Grist in 6-7 St. Margaret's Street (Neil Mattingly' House), and then the collector moved across the road to the properties that included "Westbury House" and the Dye House (St. Margaret's Hall) and the house now the River Side Inn, including the property now called "The Old Prebend House". He then moved back across the road to the houses that stood on the site of the house (now no.8), the tenants were William Hanney and Isaac Gibbs. The houses formerly Bryant's Hardware Shop were identified in 1808 as being the French Horn Inn owned by the Provis family (of Warminster). John Provis was shown as the owner in 1808, and Joseph Provis the tenant with a small part of it lived in by John Bull. Joseph Provis was also renting the cellar under no 8., probably as a narrow alleyway between the two buildings, no part of the entrance to the shop called Bindings. One would assume that the house formerly Bryant's did not have a cellar or if it did it was too small for the purpose of storing beer, etc.
William Hanny had married Elizabeth Peters at Holy Trinity Church in 1795 , one of the witnesses was the Wesleyan Methodist Minister of the Chapel in Pippet Street (now Market Street). All their children were baptised in that Chapel, now part of the Town Club. One of them -William Peters Hanny, born in 1802 is mentioned, as a staunch Methodist Leader at the new Chapel (that was erected on Coppice Hill in 1818) all his life, and the various descendents of this family in the town. The Church Rate Book assessments from Easter 1821 show that Rev. Warren's property to be void and the following year the house nor the cellar are listed, so it was obviously demolished by Easter 1822. The land was sold by Indenture of Conveyance dated 14th February 1824 by Rev. Zachariah Shrapnell Warren of Oakham in the County of Rutland, Clerk, to Isaac Batten, Mason and Builder of Bradford for £120. Situated and being in St. Margaret's Street in Bradford containing about 101/2 perches (more or less), bounded northerly and by in part eastwardly by a messuage, Cottage and premises of and belonging to General Henry Shrapnell. Southwardly and in other part eastwardly by a messuage and premises called the French Horn belonging to Samuel Provis and westwardly by St. Margaret's Street, (see sketch traced from the indenture below).
The House was rebuilt by Eater 1826 and was lived in by Isaac Batten and he was the owner assessed & paying 2 shillings and eight pence (2-8d). Isaac Batten made his Will in May 1827 and his son James Batten born c. 1795 was the Executor and inherited most of the properties on the Bath Road, Bearfield and in Woolley Street and in Newtown, but he had to raise several hundred pounds within two years for his sister. Charles Johnson became the tenant by the early 1830's and when the format changed in 1836/7 a Rateable Value was given and the rate in the £; Annual Value Rateable Value @6d £
Charles Johnson James Batten House £15-0-0 £7-10-0 3-9d
John Long Late James Long £9-0-0 £4-10-0 2-3d
latter one was formerly the French Horn Inn) James Long was a Coal Dealer, and
he died in 1836. Charles Long was the Executor for his father, but he became bankrupt
and eventually that property was sold to William Long, Mason. He was a member
from 1826 of the Independent Chapel (now United Church). William Long erected
the first School room at the Chapel in 1835 and it was enlarged to its existing
size in 1850. He had married Michal Derreett in 1820 at Westwood and their eldest
son, James eventually built the Town Hall in 1854 with another Builder.
details of the occupants from the 1841 Census
some time after that and prior to 1851 Charles Johnson moved into Pippet (Market)
Street and the above Fussell family moved into James Batten's property. Mrs. Fussell
was a widow by the time of the 1851 Census, her son John (above ) was shown as
a Tailor and Draper in St. Margaret's street in Hunt's Directory of 1848, bit
whether that was their old abode or their new abode is not known. The Frickers
had moved into the adjoining house and William Long and family had moved into
the house he had purchased in 1845 and owned by James Long's Widow Dinah in 1841.
Census St. Margaret's Street.
Long had converted his house into two and a family called Leonard were living
in the other part. a Batten and Henry, son of James Batten, Henry Batten was a
Baker & a Grocer. H Applegate was Hubert and was a Woollen Cloth Manufacturer
(see details in the first alphabetical Directory for Bradford in 1869). In the
1871 Census Household 8 was Charles Long in the house he inherited, by his father's
Will proved in 1864, and at Household 7 was Charles Tucker, a Weaver, both of
these houses on plot Tithe No. 454. The adjoining household No. 6 was a John Collie
aged 38 years, a Chemist and he must be the one listed below.
|1841 Cenus entry showing Charles Johnson, aged 50 living at the house|