The Long Family
|Albert Long at the wheel of this Germain car in the grounds of the house now known as Little Underwoods, Frome Road. Mr Long was the second man in Bradford to own a car, Dr Tayler being the first. Seen here with Mr Long is Dr. Tayler`s Chauffeur teaching him to drivre. around 1912|
|LONG, Albert Frank
architect of Warminster
[Expanded entry] Aged 37, 1901 census. At i Ash Walk (Kelly 1890). Residence The Chesnuts, Portway from c.i895-c.i93O. In 1911 house numbered 8ia, c.i924 main house split into 8ia and 8ib, 1965 became 42 and 40. By 1907 described as 'formerly of Long & Glass', 1923 practice at 17 High Street. ChL
Practice at 1 Ash Walk, Warminster (Kelly's 1889, 1895; at 21 East Street
(Kelly's 1899); as LONG & GLASS, at 53 Market Place (Kelly's 1907 - 1927 at
LONG, Albert William
builder and carpenter of Bradford-on-Avon 1867-1952
Son of Charles Long. Worked for uncle James Long for a while. Bought nos. 6-7 St. Margaret's
Street in 1919. Retired to Weymouth, Dorset. RM
1 BRADFORD-ON-AVON St. Margaret's Villas RM
2 BRADFORD-ON-AVON Frome Road, Underwoods RM
architect of West Bromwich, Staffs. Relative of the Bradford-on-Avon builders.
i BRADFORD-ON-AVON St. Margaret's Street, Independent Chapel, specs, for work 0.1913 RM
LONG, Charles Edmund
|In the 18th Century a branch
of the Long Family are shown as living in Atworth, (see Family Tree). The
first reference to the Long family being associated with Shrapnell House
is in 1840 when William Long, Mason , is shown as living in one part of
the property and Joseph Joyce, Watch maker in the other part. By 1841, William
is shown as widower bringing up 7 children in his part of the house. Joseph
Joyce, the tenant of the other part was living with his wife, mother, daughter
and brother. To make it even more amazing ,four other families are shown
living in former properties in the garden. Ten years later the Census shows
that he is now living at 9/10 St. Margaret's Street, at what is now the
Rialto Restaurant with his brother Michael and Charles, his son who at 15
is described as a Mason. Another son also William is living nearby in Beasor
Street today a continuation of St. Margaret's Street. He was a member from
1826 of the Independent Chapel (now United Church and erected the first
School room at the Chapel in 1835 and it was enlarged to its existing size
in 1850. He had married Michal Derrett in 1820 at Westwood and their eldest
son, James eventually built the Town Hall in 1854 and also was responsible
for restoring "the Hall" for the Moulton's. Another son, William
was to build Victoria and Albert Terrace. In 1865 their property in St.
Margaret's Street was auctioned and is described as following:
FREEHOLD DWELLING-HOUSE (now The Rialto Restaurant)
With the Yard, Tallow Chandler's Shop, and Outhouses at the rear thereof, situate in St. Margaret Street, Bradford, aforesaid, occupied by MR. THOMAS SMART, Grocer and Tallow Chandler, and MR. CHARLES LONG, Builder. The house occupied by Mr. Smart comprises a Front Shop, large Sitting Room, Wash-house and Scullery, with 3 front and 1 back Bedrooms, and there is a Tallow Chandler's
Boiling House, and Candle or Store Room in the Yard at the rear; and the House occupied by Mr. C. Long contains a Front Sitting Room, large Kitchen, and 4 Bedrooms over.
There is a capital Pump and Well of Water on the premises, and a back entrance and right of way, from No-where Lane.
Charles is recorded in 1868 as using workshops which had recently been converted by Henry Fricker at the rear of Shrapnell House (tithe No. 488)
His youngest son Charles (1835-1888) was also described as a Mason and Builder. It was his son, Albert W. Long, who was to
purchase Shrapnell House in 1919. He bought the property from the wife (Hariet) and daughters (Mary Parsons Coward, Sarah Agnes Down) of Julius Augustus Fricker. They had inherited the property on the death of Julius in 1913. An advert of the time shows Albert offering a comprehensive range of services from the property (see Advert).
William and Michal Long became membersof United Church in 1826. They had four sons, James, William, John and Charles all builders or carpenters in Bradford, represented now by Michael of Newtown, whose daughter Kim attends our Church. They are descended from the youngest son, Charles.
James and John were members of our Coppice Hill Chapel where James was a trustee and benefactor. William, Junior, was married twice, his first wife was buried with his sister near the pathway. His children were all baptised here and they lived in front of the Chapel from 1847 until he built Albert Terrace and Cottage in 1863. Incidentally, after the Railway was opened in 1858, he bought surplus land and built Victoria Terrace. (Roger Mawby history of United Church)
|In 1841 William Long, aged 40,is renting half of Shrapnel House,6-7 St margarets street whilst the other part is occupied by Joseph Joyce, a Clock Maker. His sons were to be successful builders and his grandson Albert Long would eventually buy the same house in 1919.|
|The Frickers had moved
into the adjoining house and William Long and family had moved into the
house he had purchased in 1845 and owned by James Long's Widow Dinah in
in 1836/7 a Rateable Value was given and the rate in the £; Annual Value Rateable Value @6d £
Charles Johnson James Batten House £15-0-0 £7-10-0 3-9d
John Long Late James Long £9-0-0 £4-10-0 2-3d
(this latter one was formerly the French Horn Inn) James Long was a Coal Dealer, and he died in 1836. Charles Long was the Executor for his father, but he became bankrupt and eventually that property was sold to William Long, Mason. He was a member from 1826 of the Independent Chapel (now United Church). William Long erected the first School room at the Chapel in 1835 and it was enlarged to its existing size in 1850. He had married Michal Derreett in 1820 at Westwood and their eldest son, James eventually built the Town Hall in 1854 with another Builder.
Their second son William, Junior, erected Victoria Terrace and later in 1863 Albert Terrace, Michael Long is descended from their fourth and youngest son Charles Long and he inherited one of the two houses on that site c.1864 and now one entire property, recently called Bryant's. The values in the Church Rate Book for the houses in this part of St. Margaret's Street with the owners and tenants below and the numbers given to them in the 1841 Tithe Awards.
Church Rate Book Tenants Owners
No. 457 CJ. Pearce General Shrapnel House & Garden £36
No. 456 Wm. Long General Shrapnel House £15
No. 455 Chas. Johnson James Batten House £20
No. 454 John Miles Dinah Long House £11
No. 453 Ann Reynor Ann Reynor House £12
|This indenture made
the first day of February 1868 between Henry Fricker of Bradford on Avon,
plumber and glazier 7,
....and also all those workshops with the land, outbuildings and erections and premises belonging thereto adjoining the last described hereditaments leading out into Nowhere Lane and numbered 488 and the said Tithe Map and in the said Book of Reference therefore said stated 8 perches and which said workshops formally consisted of three cottages or tenements but have recently been converted into workshops by the said Henry Fricker and which are now in or lately was in his possession and part of the same in the occupation of Charles Long Builder.