Scroll down or click on Home to return back
Use Search engine below to fine more pages.


THE WEB CHARMOUTH SITE
Charmouth in Living Memory - Part 2
1.This talk follows on from the one we delivered last year using an entirely different set of photos. It has been more difficult to put together as so much was covered last time. We have used directories, newspapers and private collections more than last time. We would especially like to thank Keith Wiscombe and Ron  and Jean Dampier for their invaluable help. It is an imaginary walk from the beach and then along the Street covering many of the buildings and events along the way over the last 80 years.
2.We have used this painting by Claude Muncaster of the top of the street which was one of a series National Savings Posters produced in the 1950s to promote their services. It shows the Post office when it was run by The Long family from what is Melville House today.
3.The next slide shows the view as it is today. Sadly the onslaught of the automobile put an end to trading here with the Bypass and lack of Parking. Although there is the exception of The Fossil Shop at the rear of Waterloo House, which used to be Childs Hardware Store.
4. This wonderful photograph taken in 1928 reveals the village with most of its houses along The Street with little development between it and the beach. A number of fields are laid out as allotments, including what was to be Five Acres to the west of Higher Sea Lane. The shops on eaither side of The Street were yet to be built and Harry Pryer the owner of the land at that time ran his Stone Masons Yard on the site. THe old School is surrounded by fields and must have been idyllic with its nearness to the sea. Most of the social events were held in The Church Hall, now THe Community Hall at The Village Hall were are in today was yet to be built for The Womens Institute.

5.The same view in 1990 taken in the year that the Bypass was being built. A sharp contrast to the previous slide with more houses and caravans. The Beach Car Park must have been used by The Contractors as their lorries and materials can be clearly seen.

The View today
6. A photo taken after the war with a section of the anti tank emplacements still to be seen along the shore.They werte known as Dragons Teeth and were originally linked together with metal poles to form a barrier.Hammonds Mead Hotel and its large grounds can be seen on the left.
7. Another wider view from the same year with very few cars in The Car Park, which was then run by Billy Gear, whose Garage was along The Street.
8. Charmouth in the 1965, with Higher Sea Lane and Five Acres filling up with new Houses
9. A view along The Street in 1955 with the 13th century Monks wall clearly seen in the foreground. Most of the properties had their long Burgage oplots stretching back to the Wall.
10. Another view from the same year showing more of The Street and Axminster Road.
11. A view of the area between Lower and Higher Sea Lane when it was still mainly fields.
12 From left to right are Cedric Edwards, Johnny Davis, Philip Forsey, Malorie Hayter, Myra Edwards who pose for a photograph in the 1950s above the Beach Car Park.
13. An early photograph of the newly built Beach Huts below the Look Out.
14. Charmouth after the war with the Anti Tank defences still in a line along the shore, just a few now remain to remind us of the important roll Charmouth played during the War. Their purpose was to create obstacles if the Germans landed; these would prevent their tanks from advancing up to the village and controlling the London to Plymouth road.
15. A view of children on the beach in the 1960s,little changed from today. In the background can be seen the old Cement Works which was to become the popular Heritage Centre. Cars of those far off days can be seen in front with a Ford Anglia and Volkswagon Camper Van amongst them.

Although Charmouth can get busy in the Summer, it does not compare with this photo taken in August 1971 with virtually every inch covered with holidaymakers.

17. Newlands Caravan site and Sales were regular advertisers in the annual Charmouth Guide as is shown here.They had to fight many appeals before being accepted, but now form an important part of the Community with their support of local businesses.
18. A photograph from the 1960s of the Caravans at Seadown in rows along the field.
19. A number of people had to be rescued from their caravans as the River Char burst its banks, sending floodwater cascading through the Dolphins Caravan Park in the 1979 floods in Charmouth. 
20. Ivan Gollop  was a Coal Merchant and Haulier. He is seen here with Muriel, Norman, Spencer  Gollop outside the former Cement Works, now the Heritage Centre. At the top of the Street was a coal yard opposite Nutcombe Terrace which was run by a relation - Spencer Gollop.
21. During the spring of 1954 severe gales so damaged the concrete walls of the Car Park that they had to be entirely rebuilt. Here are some of the workmen outside what was to become the Heritage Centre.
22. Another photograph of the site after the storm.
23. In April 1989, Charmouth hit the headlines when a storm wrecked a pipeline used by a dredger to cut a trench in the sea bed off Charmouth for a Sewer Pipe.
24. Another photograph of the event.
25. A view of the Beach whilst the work was going on.
26. Mrs West is seen here in 1930 opening the new Bridge which was only recently replaced after many years of service.
27. This beautiful coloured plan commemorating The New Bridge was found in the damp Cellar of The Elms and is now on display in The Pavey Rooms of The Elms. It details that it was built by Mr. John West of Luttrell House, Charmouth, assisted by Mr. Fred Penny and many other local residents at the cost of £193. Opened by Mrs. West on August 4th 1930. The estimate for building by a Bristol Firm was £310. 
28. The Little Tea Gardens at the bottom of Lower Sea Lane as it appeared in the 1950s.
29. Now reaplaced by housing which incorporates the former name.
30. Another view of the delightful gardens at the rear.
31. The Ice Cream Cabin on the road front advertising St. Ivel Ice Cream
32. Charmouth School in 1953 with a list of some of the pupils in that year.
Mervin Smith, Cedric Edwards,.....,Shirley Bartlett, Colin Larcombe,Carol Jerrard,..... Carol Mayne, Eric Garland.
Mallory Hayter, Bryan Jones, Knorman, Guy Bid,dad,Raymond Larcombe,..... ,....., Linda Rioes, Richard Stirk.
Peta Woolard, Diana Sampson, Elise Long, Christine Long, Carol Gerrard, Janice Lockett, Sylvia Rowe, Mary Colby, Zena Smith. 
33. Miss Thelma Pascall received many gifts on retiring from the headship of Charmouth Primary School in April 1977 after 16 years as head. Among them was a pressed flower picture from the playgroup, presented by Mrs. April Smith on the right. 
34. Win Hallett, Mrs Cabell, Arthur Cabell, Walter Reed watching on in amusement.
35. William Dampier in the center with an unknown gentleman and a group of children including June Frampton, Deidre Woollard, Maureen Turner, Agnes Hansford.Linda Smith, Peta Woollard, Pat Hansford.  The photo was taken outside the Church Hall which is now called The Community Hall.
36. The conclusion of a fete committee meeting in the early 1950s with members about to leave the Church Hall. From L to R they are: Les Holman, Eddie Austin, Grant Edwards, John Yorke, Dennis Stokes, Basil Whybrow, Ron Frampton, Fred Penny, Barney Hansford and Bert Smith.
Fred Penny was born in 'Bow House' in Charmouth in 1867 and died in 1957. He was deeply involved in village activities throughout his long life.
37. Frank Turner, Nick Frampton, Gladys Frampton, Frances Bugler - The poster shows it is for a Dance at Church Hall with Roy Kay and his Hammond Organ.
38. A New Years Eve Party in 1950 with Edward Thompson, who ran a Tailors Shop where the Ppost Office is today on the stage of The Church Hall.
39.Kathleen Hutchins, Frank Turner, Ellis Long at The Church Hall in the 1950s
40. Leslie Holman, Roy Aldworth, Gilbert Pomeroy at annual Village Supper which was a highlight of the year for most villagers in the past.
41. Mr. Quick,....,....,...., Ruben Frampton, Jim Pitt, Keith Grinter, Basil Wybrow, Clifford Loosemore at Village Supper in the 1950s
42. 26 August 1983 Officials pictured at Charmouth Gardeners very successful flower show.Left to right: Bernard Smith( Chairman), Jack Ashby ( treasurer), Stan Durbridge (show secretary), Norman MacDonald (Secretary), Eric Poppleton (vice chairman) . This annual event is still going strong today.
43. In March 1965 Any Questions came to Charmouth Church Hall with Freddy Grisewood. ThIs Radio programme can still be heard today on Radio 4.
44. A crowd of onlookers gather for the opening of The Youth Club in 1960
45. When they built Queens Walk the Youth Club benefited with a new premises by selling some of their land to the developer.

46.Christmas 1958 with the Red Planet Skittle Group including Dave Trivett and Bill Duke.

47. A photo of the interior of the former Youth Hall soon after it opened in 1960
48.Here can be seen at the back : B. Jones, G. Pitfield, Miss R. Simmonds, Brigadier A.Pemberton, M. Farrant, Miss E. Long, 
Seated Misses Jill linthorne (Matthews), N. Cabel in this photo of The Youth Club in 1961.
49. Sandford House was purchased by the Dorset County Council in 1958 and pulled down to improve the entrance, to Lower Sea Lane.
50. Today shows the same view whose boundary wall would have gone almost to the double yellow line.
51.Many of the shops had lorries crash into them. The worst was in 1987 when a Grain Lorry overturned at Braggs Grocery store and almost demolished the entire building. 
52. Another view of the disaster
53.The remains of Braggs Store is seen here on the right.
54. Braggs Stores in the 1960s on the right. The original shop was constucted in 1932 by J.R. Bragg of Lyme Regis, incorporating an 18th century Carpenters Workshop.
55.Braggs Stores shortly before it closed in 2006.
56.Ida`s Country Corner store opened in 2006 in the former Braggs Store with Val and Jim Hatcher. It was named Idas after Val`s Mother. It is now The Pharmacy which was formerly sited further along the parade.
57.Back in the 1950`s Beasley's sold knitwear, wools, jewellery and gifts in their shop seen here. Next to it was Herberts, The Chemist
58.Billy Gears House can be seen next to Lloyds Bank which is now the Bank Café.
59.Billy Gear owned this Gift shop next door to his Garage, which was run  by his wife back in the 1950s.
60. A view looking up The Street in the 1950s with Garages on both sides of The Street both owned by Billy Gear.
61. Two adverts from The Annual Village Directory for Billy Gears Garage in the 1960s. Notice the phone numbers of just 8 and 9.
62.Bert Dancey, George Rowland and Billy Gear are shown here standing on the forecourt of the Garage with some of their cars.
63. The view today is difficult to photograph as it has changed so dramatically.
64. Another view from the 1950s of the Garage and Billys Gift Shop and his House
65.The view today with The Fish Bar & Pizzeria in his former Gift Shop.
66. Some of the adverts from The Church Magazine of 1960 for many of the businesses that once operated in Charmouth.
67.Charmouth Football Team and Supporters in the 1970s:
Ron Sherlock, Gary Rowlands, Jim Larcombe, Stephen Rowlands, Charlie Stirk, Robert Love
Colin Tait, Cecil Stork, Stuart Wiscombe, Mike Hodder, Mike Knight, Keith Grinter, Goldsworthy, Ben Thomas David Reed, Dave Bennett
Vernon Trott, Andrew Thomas.
Colin Bowditch, Roger Stork, Christian..., Mallory Hayter, Kevin Trott, Neil Luxton, Mike Stork. 
68. Barney Hansford in an aerea of his Bygones exhibition that operated at the bottom of The Street where Barneys Close is today.
69.An advert for The Museum and a newspaper cutting from 1986 when it closed and many of the items were auctioned off.
70.A view back in the 1950s of The Street looking towards The George Inn. The tall gabled building in the centre at one time a shop run by Barnie Hansford was demolished in recent times to widen the approach to Barneys Close.
71. The view today with the gap where the Gabled House once stood.
72. Mrs Mary and Mr John Parkins with Sheila and Nigel Parkins outside the George Hotel in the 1950s.
73. The Darts Team at The George 1954-5
Alf Trott, Fred Hansford, Terry Smith, Terry White, Cecil Stork
Bob Birt, Eddie Bearpark, Dennis Bearpark, Denny Gerard. 
74. Mr and Mrs Capewell at The George in 2000
75. A view of The Abbots House then called The Queens Armes on the right in the 1950s. The building had been extended to incorporate a Tea Room which can be seen here. The dilapidated ivy covered fronted house on the left was The Wander Inn.
76. Inside The Queens Armes which was for many years a popular Hotel and Tea Room.
77. In 1951 Charmouth and Wootton Fitzpaine Conservatives re-enacted Charles II attempt at escape from Charmouth for the 300th anniversary of the event. They printed a special booklet from which this photo and many others were used. Many of the village played parts in it.  
78.Following the German campaign in Europe in 1940, there was a real threat of invasion of the UK in May 1940. Anthony Eden made a radio appeal to men aged between 16-65 to form a defence force called the Local Defence Volunteers (L.D.V.). Over a quarter of a million men volunteered the next day. There were soon over 500,000 men involved.  The Charmouth unit was formed by Colonel Little who lived in the house on the comer of The Street and Lower Sea Lane called Sandford, as Commanding Officer. The platoon consisted of World War 1 veterans, youngsters awaiting call up and men in reserved occupations. They are seen here marching past The Queens Arms on the right.
79.A wonderful photograph showing the Home Guard in 1944 taken by Claude Hider of Bridport. When enlarged up you can clearly see the faces of these former inhabitants of the Village which are as follows
80. An enlargement of the Home Guard Group - left
Back Row - Peach, Frampton, Bartlett, Young, Gear, 
Front Row - Stirk, Rostorick, Frampton
81. An enlargement of the Home Guard Group - centre
Back Row-Jerrard, Matthews, Holman, White.
 Middle Row-Havis,Spurdle,Loosemore, Rendle.
Front Row-Aldworth, Marston, Herbert
82.An enlargement of the Home Guard Group - right 
Back Row - Rendell, Lane, Quick.
Front Row - Hodder, Stokes, Oxenbury.
83.Charmouth had originally a defensive role, but as the war went on this became offensive and the village adapted accordingly, leading up to the D Day landings. Many of the village men were called away to the armed services and the women were drawn into essential industries and farm work and there was also the arrival of the evacuees. Even as early as 1939, British troops were billeted in the village who were concerned with coastal defence.
Here are The Charmouth pages from the Womens Institute`s War Records book. It shows the Evacuees that arrived. It also depicts the land mine that had gone off on the Stonebarrow Cliff; apparently by a cow stepping on to it and that the poor beast had its head blown off by the explosion.
Another page shows Villagers raising money towards HMS Dorsetshire. They also are pictured entertaining the Signal regiment to a meal intheir canteen. Much of their spare time was taken up repairing nets. They humourously picture the Home Guard in action.
84. 16D D4Y Charmouth Fire Brigade during the last War on Charmouth Beach.
Back Row: Tony Grinter, Henry Turner, Cecil Bugler, Frank Ramsey, Frank Cook, George Loosmore, Ernest Hutchings, J.R. Bragg, Sydney Grinter, S.Knight, George Rowland.
Front Row:John Child's, Walter Keeley, George Bastin, W. Mills, Tom Prince.
85. Charmouth Fire Brigade in the 1950s.
Back Row:Cecil Stork, Dennis Gerrard, Ernest Hutchings, Cecil Havis, Bert Smith
Front Row:George Bastin, Mrs Rapsey, Fred Penny, Frank Turner
86. The News cutting from 1957 details that : The Bridge, built in 1822, which carries the main roiad across the River Char is being replaced by a new one. The first arch, twice the width of the old one is seen under construction in this picture. When completed in about 6 weeks time work will begin on demolishing the old arch and replacing it with a similar one to that now being built. Cost of the project is put at £20,000. In the background can be seen the former Mill buildings.
87. The ivy covered building seen here then called The Wander Inn had formerly been The New Inn and previoulsy The Rose and Crown whose history can be traced back to the times weh the village was owned by the Abbot of Forde in the 15th Century. Sadly the old structure was allowed to detiorate to such a state after being empty for so long that it literraly fell down and was replaced by the new building we see today.
88. Red Bluff and Swiss Cottage which have replaced the former Inn.
89. Charmouth Amateur Football Club, 1954 
Back Row:Charlie Stirk, Doug Stevens, Eddie Austin, Malcolm Bowditch, George Restorick, Brian Bowditch, Tom Norris
Front Row:Colin Bowditch, Reggie Jones, Bill Draper, Brian Wheeler, Fred Helens. 
90. Vera Matthews with a young Ron Oxenbury in the pram.
91. The village celebrates the Festival of Britain in 1951. A young girl dressed as Brittania can be seen in the Parade.
92.This group photograph is of the Fancy Dress entrants for the Fete of 1949. The event was held in the Church Hall because the weather was poor and the photograph was taken just outside on the eastern side looking towards The Street. This group photograph is of the Fancy Dress entrants for the Fete of 1949. Those pictured include:
2. Pat Hansford 12. Janet Holman 13. Sue Gower 18. June Frampton 21. Janet Long 22. Yvonne Vidler 23. Margaret Mackie 28. Ruby Hodder 30. Julia Holman 33. Diana Havis 34. Jill Linthorne 38. Yvonne Pincott  40. Dierdre Woollard 42. Joe Dukes. 
93. Sports at the Playing Field in 1951. Barbara Dureall partners Angela Bowditch (wheelbarrow) with Barbara's father Tom just behind with Barney Hansford and Walt Rendell to his left. Angela is supported by her mother May and several of her sisters keeping pace behind the front row of spectators. John Bragg, George Restorick and Ron Dampier can be seen to the left. Chris Forsey second from right.
94. and below is shown a girl's sack race. Monica Thomas, June Frampton, Angela Bowditch, Dierdre Woollard and Maureen Turner are all recognised.
95. 1953 Stephanie Woollard at the coconut shy. To her left, Heather Frampton and arms folded -- brothers Ron and Bill Draper with Harry Pigeon wearing protective headgear in control. To her right Jill Linthorne, Dierdre Woollard in profile and Maureen Turner
96. 1954 Harry Grinter skittling for a pig. The portable alley was set up on the right inside the gates to the Playing Field just above the Scout Hut. Basil Whybrow seated and keeping the records. Eddie Austin second from right.
1958 ... and the moment of truth for the competitors in the Fancy Dress competition arrives Jimmy (or Philip) Forsey with the Dairy Farms banner is distracted by a dog which was present throughout the parade but whose role is uncertain.

 

97. 1949 On wet fete days the event was held in the Church Hall and here we see fancy dress competitors Sue Gower (Punch) and June Frampton (Judy). The paving slabs remained after Nissen huts, used during the war by GIs in the lead-up to D-Day, had been removed.

1951 -----and the winners are the 'Bisto Kids'
Monica Thomas and Julia Holman. A top of the village success with Monica and Julia living at 3 and 6 Nutcombe Terrace respectively.

98. ….,…, Gilbert Pomeroy, Pauline Turner, Jean Pomery (Hutchings) with Derek Pomeroy.
99. At the back:Melvyn Upwards, Jill Linthorne, Stephanie Woollard, Lorraine Marshbanks, Diedrie Woollard
Peta Woollard at the front.
100. 6th July 1984 Bridport News reported:
“On Friday, four Charmouth delegates left for an unofficial visit to Asnelles-Sur-Mer,in France, to probe the possibility of the two communities twinning. From left to right, the picture shows Mr. Colin Gibson, Mr. Mike Davis, Mr Mike Lake and his wife Di. They were all warmly greeted by their French counterparts, including the mayor”.
They are seen here standing outside The George Inn. The Twinning Group has been a great success and is stronger than ever with annual visits between the two places.
101. The Silver Jubille Celebration.
102. Another view of it, with a long table down The Street full of villagers celebrating.
103. An unussual photograph looking up The Street in the 1940s showing The shops at that time which were Ernest Thompson (Draper) on the corner,Albert Dunn (Jeweller), H.R. Smith (Baker), George Restorick (Butcher). Behind the flower filled garden on the right was Sunnyside Guest House. Opposite is Gears Garage and on the corner - Braggs Store.
104.A phoito from the 1950s of the Street full of Holidaymakers in front of the shops. The Garage in Lansdowne House was by then owned by Billy Gear who also owned The larger garage opposite.
105. Another nostalgic view of The Street with Braggs Store on the right with a large siaply of fruit and vegtables on its forecourt. The havy lorry is no doubt delivering more produce to the shop.
106. George Restorick proudly stands in front of his Butchers laden with his Christmas Fare including Rabbits, Pigs and Chickens.
107. Taking this photo today was very difficult as the butchers now forms part of Morgans as can be seen here.
108. Village children compete with each other for the best guy on 5th November 1945.
From Left to right is Noel Frampton, John Bragg, Peter Garland, Maureen Turner, Deidre Wollard, Graham Turner.
Front Roger Spurdle and David Spurdle. 
109. Devon Edge in 1983 when it housed the Post Office as well as the Butchers.
110. Ernest Thompson standing in the doorway of his Drapers shop on the corner of Barrs lane and The Street in 1950. It was he who submitted plans for four shops. We are fortunate that the original detailed drawings have survived at the Archives in Dorchester. They show frontages that have been altered over time, but outward looking virtually the same. Ernest was to take the corner building for himself and opened it in 1934 as a Drapers which he ran with his wife Ethel.
111. The same view today obliterated by Street furniture. The side window in the earlier photo has now been blocked in.
112.Ann and Andrew Peach are seen here standing behind the counter of their shop with shelves piled high with drinks on their last day in the shop.
113. The following photos are just some of the many that were taken of villgers and shopkeepers in the year 2000 and are preserved in an Album now kept by the History Society in The Pavey Rooms at The Elms.Arthur Banwell who ran the Estate Agents in that year is seen here at his dsk.
114. Village Butcher, Robert Huxter with hius wife holding a Carrier bag.
115. It was Geoff and Pauline Adams who could be found behind the counter of Morgans in the Millenium Year.
116. A younger Steve and Gill Pile outside the Post Office which they still run.
117.It was Caroline and Vincent Pielitz who were the Village Hairdressers.
118. This Photgraph was taken in 1958 just before Sandford House was demolished to widen Lower Sea Lane, which was very narrow as can be ssen by the photographs. Braggs Store which is now The Pharmacy almost touches the corner of Sandfors Houses garden.
119. The view today
120. Another view of The Lost House which formerly belonged to Colonel Little who was in charge of The Home Guard during The last War.
121. Today no trace can be seen of it.
122. Girls Training Corps 1946 in front of Charmouth Lodge which was formerly called The Limes after the row of this tree that used to be along the front.
123. Winnie and Joan Whittington are seen here in the centre of this photogarph taken on the lawn of The Limes surrounded by their Pupils who they taught in the School adjoining it now called Little Lodge.
124. Another photo of young children from The School.
125. The Boys Brigade lead a March along The Street into Lower Sea Lane in the 1950s
126. A group of villagers admire a magnificent Car outside Beech House. Opposite is Dampieres Store with their Delivery Van parked outside.
127. Another view of Dampiers in the 1950s with its windows piled high with Cansof food. The Star Inn`s sign can be seen at the entrance of the passageway between it and Little Lodge.
128. The first photo shows Frank Turner, Vivian Hallett and Alf Hallett during the War and the other has a group outside the Star Inn with Frank Bailey . its Landlord with a pipe and bow tie.
129.On a sunny Bank Holiday in 1958 , the Fancy Dress parade passes Rupert House and Dampier's. Muriel Edwards and Glad Forsey can be seen with their children.
130. Ron and Jean Dampier stand in front of their Drinks display in the year 2000.
131.Reub Frampton was the village butcher with his brother Ron standing outside their shop next to The Coach and Horses. They came to charmouth in 1938 when they bought the butchers from Cecil Marsh.Both served in the Home Guard and appear in the group photograph.
132. The view today is difficult to recognise as it has changed so much.
133.The Coach and Horses shown her in the background was to finally close in 1996 after nearly 3 centuries as a coaching Inn on the site and is now converted into apartments. The photograph shows a band in the procession in the 1930s. At this time the former stables were being used as a garage.
134. A view today of the former Coach and Horses. The building to the left was the former Butchers run by Framptons.
135. The Cotleigh Hunt which still survives today often came to Charmouth and members of it are seen here assembling for the Hunt outside The Coach and Horses in the 1950s.
136. A view looking down the Street in 1960 with The Coach and Horses Garages and Car Park on the right.
137. Huge Transformers are seen passing through Charmouth in 1976
138. After The War The Village had a number of fine Hotels in the Larger properties. Here are adverts for just 2 of them. On the right is The White House, which is still going strong. The Court has long since changed from Hotel to Offices. Pat Stapleton, A committee member since the beginning of the founding of the History Group, is shown as the owner with her husband then.
139. This newscutting from 11th September 1987 has a young Dr Martin and Sue Becker taking over the Surgery at Little Hurst from Mrs Jennifer Beech, the widow of the former Charmouth GP, Dr. Hugh Beech.
140. In April 2001 The Charmouth Local History Society was formed under the chairmanship of Peter Press. He is seen here with Roger Aldworth, Peter Press, Geoff Prosser, Mrs. S. Edwards, Jill Matthews, Keith Wiscombe, Mrs Whatmore, Pat Hansford,Pat Stapleton who formed the commitee. We are pleased to say that some of these are here tonight.
141.Royal Oak Inn. The Royal Oak Champion Darts Team - 1937-8
Back Row: George Webster, Thomas, Tom Larcombe, Henley, Tom Grinter, George Saffrey & Fred Hutchings.
Front Row: Sid Grinter, ................, Harry Bowditch
142. Jeff and Carol Prosser at The Royal Oak in 2000
143. A view of a snow covered Street from Charmouth House on the right back in the 60s.
144. A similar coloured view, this time lokking up The Street in the 1960s.
145.Mediterranea with its side window on the right was a shop in what is now Portland House. They went on a buying trip to the continent each year and would sell a wide variety of goods from the Mediterranean including furniture, pottery, jewellery, baskets and toys.  
146.Charmouth House elevation from The Street.
147. The Bar of The Hotel with its Oak panelling
148.A view of the swimming pool, now lost under the garden
149. The Rear of the The Sea Horse Hotel was part of the way down Higher Sea Lane and due to subsidence was demolished and replaced with an apartment block in 1991. The original structure dated back to 1801 and was for over a century the only building in the lane. 
150. The same view today of the appartment block.
151. Another view of Mediterraneo, this time from the front with its display of continental goods.
152. The shop window and entrance has now dissapered.
153A later photo when the shop which at one time was Tarrs, the Stationers had become the short lived Susanne`s.
154. Another view today with the shop and entrance replaced by a central widow.
155. Susannes on the left with its blue blind down over the front on a snowy day in the 1960s
156.Claremont Hotel is the gabled building on the left. Next to it is Badgers Bookshop as they were in 1960.
157. A close up of Claremont Guest House and Badgers in the 1940s
158. The House which conatined the Bookshop is still called Badgers to this day. Further is Well Head where the famous Charmouth Historian, Reginald PAvey lived.
159. The view today
160.Two car loads of holiday makers stop outside Longs Post Office and Grocers, which has long since closed and is now called Melville House.
161.This wonderful postcard shows some of the businesses at that time. At the top can be seen The New Inn, then The Fish Shop run by Cecil, brother of Billy Gear. The village G.P. Dr. Chamberalin lived at Askew House.At Melville House was Longs Post Office and Stores. Next door at Waterloo House was was Childs a Hardware Store (now the fossil shop). Ernie Hutchings, was a cobbler living and working from Granville House on the right, the window to this former shop can still be seen today.
162. The same view today.
163. Long`s (now Melville House) It had opened in 1937 as a grocery business and was in time the village Post Office. Nora and Ellis Long were very active in the village for over 30 years and during the war he was an Incident Officer with the Civil Defence Corps. The Poster on the right for The Regent Cinema was one of many produced by Ellis to advertsie local events.
164. The view today of the former Store. A Clematus covers the original entrance.
165. Another view of The Cotleigh Hunt on its way down The Street from The New Inn.
166. Whilst in the cellar at The Elms we came across a large water colour of the former New Inn from 1948 by a local artist. It is now on display in The Pavey Room and is of interest as shows the colours of the buiding as no colour photos have survived.
167. A somewhat different view today.
168. This photograph has regulars enjoying a pint at The New Inn which was situated at the top of the Street. Jack French, Henry Trott, Syd Grinter with the Landlords -Tony and Maisey Marshall are shown here. In 1977, Palmers sold the premises to The Department of the Environment for road widening. The pubs car park is now under the road and the former Inn is subdivided into a number of houses.
169. Another procession with the boys brigade passes the New Inn. To the left of it can be seen the Singing Kettle. This was a tea room run by Turner and Smales. As well as light meals villagers could get their cigarettes and newspapers there.
170. The view today.
171. Young children in fancy dress are seen here marching in the parade to the Recreation Ground where the village fete was held annually. A smartly dressed policeman follows them at the junction of Old Lyme Hill and the Street
172. 1st Prize Decorated House 1-4 Nutcombe Terrace
173. This photograph shows children in fancy dress before going off to the Village Fete in 1946 from Nutcombe Terrace.
From left to right is Roger Grinter, George Bowditch, Alf Trott, Diana Havis, Geoff Stork, Valerie Turner.
In the front are Pauline Turner and Joe (Billy) Duke.
174. We hope you have enjoyed a futher selection of slides of Charmouth as it was, which has not changed too much over the years compared with many other villages. We finish on this photograph taken recently looking down on to it.