A History of St. Andrew`s Church, Charmouth

(3)Bullen
Click on image or on Home to return back.
In memory of SIMEON BULLEN,esq,/for many years a respected inhabitant/of this parish/who died March 1,1822, aged 75 years;/Also of/ELIZABETH,/wife of the above,and only daughter of/WILLIAM FITZHERBERT,esq,/of Chideock in this county,/who died Feb.21,1819,aged 81 years./ Their remains are deposited in a vault/in the chancel of Chideock church./ This tablet is erected in accordance with the wishes of their youngest son,/JOHN BULLEN,esq./late of this parish,and/of New Inn,London,/in testimony of his respect for the memory/of his parents.
1812 13Feb Bullen S - Charmouth attacked on the Bridport road

 
The Gallery The organ was installed by cutting away the Minstrel's Gallery (parts of which remain). Painted on the front of the organ - Presented to Charmouth Parish Church by JOHN BULLEN, Esq. Oct. 18th, 1846. Restored Sept. 1884 by H.J.DICKER of Exeter.I.68 The following small plaques are fixed one beneath the other. T.C.BATES, Organbuilder, Ludgate Hill, London.
In memory of/CHARLES BULLEN,Captain in the Royal Navy a Justice of the Peace for Dorset/and MARY ANNE (BAKER) his wife. They resided/for many years at the Manor House in this/parish,and died at a ripe old age/honoured and beloved by all their/neighbours. The remains are interred/in the Churchyard adjoining Christmas, 1885.

 

 

Colonel Bullen walking with a crowd down the Street in Charmouth near the George, c.1910
 
Colonel Bullens Father

The manor house but not the manorial rights - was purchased by Simeon Bullen in 1803. In 1852 John Bullen, his son, was owner and in his will of that date left the western end of his three houses to his great nephew John Bullen Symes, who added Bullen to his name and became known as Colonel Bullen.Colonel Bullen sold it on 22nd January 1889 to Miss M.A. Miller when all the windows were latticed., Unfortunately Miss Miller had these removed. Colonel Bullen left Charmouth and purchased Catherston Manor, where he lived until his death. The eastern portion was owned by Colonel Bullen`s uncle Captain Charles Bullen R.N. who died in 1884.
John Bullen Esq by will dated 16 Jan 1852 gave to the Rector, Church Wardens & others over £100. The interest to be applied in the purchase of bread, to be distributed on the 20th day of December yearly to the poor inhabitants.
John Bullen was the youngest son of Simeon who died in 1822. Simeon was the grandson of William Bullen of Cathanger in Fifehead, Somerset, who held an Estate under the Wyndham Family in the 17th Century. He was kinsman of Bullen Reymis, brother in law of Wyndham. Bullen Reymiss and Ellesden, helped Lord Berkely to escape after the battle of Worcester, which led Wyndham to come to Ellesden to arrange for the escape of King Charles II.

The land tax for the following year show that Simeon Bullen is the new owner of the Manor in 1804 and his family are to occupy it for the next 80 years. Simeon was the grandson of William Bullen of Cathanger in Fifehead, Somerset, who held an Estate under the Wyndham Family in the 17th Century. He was kinsman of Bullen Reymis, brother in law of Wyndham. Bullen Reymiss and Ellesden, helped Lord Berkely to escape after the battle of Worcester, which led Wyndham to come to Ellesden to arrange for the escape of King Charles II. He dies in 1822 aged 75 and leaves the manor to his youngest son, John Bullen. He seems to have divided the house into 3 parts as is shown by the 1841 Tithe Map. The 1851 Census for Charmouth show him as a retired Solicitor originating from Stoke Abbot in Dorset living in the west part and his son Lieutenant Charles aged 39,occupying the other part with his wife Mary. The will for John, who dies the following year reveals that the eastern part, where he was living was to go to his great nephew John Bullen Symes, who added Bullen to his name and became known as Colonel Bullen. The eastern part is to remain with his son, Charles who was in due course to rise to the rank of Captain in the Navy. Charles continued to live there until his death in 1884 and was buried in Charmouth Church where there is a memorial to him. The property was briefly to be occupied by his wife, Mary and inherited by his relation, John Tatchell Bullen of Marshwood Manor. In 1886 he sold this part of the manor to his kinsman, Colonel J.B.S. Bullen who had been living in the other portion for £300. For a few years the Manor was to have just one owner. But in 1889 the Colonel bought the neighbouring Catherstone Estate and sold off the west wing of Charmouth Manor to Miss Mary Ann Miller and briefly rented the rest to Dr. William Kerbey and then to John Gilligham, his Farm Manager. He was to keep ownership until his death in 1938 and two years afterwards his trustees sold it to Reginald Forsey who owned the adjoining Backlands Farm.

The present Manor House was built in 1887 by Colonel Bullen, but incorporates remains of the older house in the middle of the south side. The late 16th Century stone porch was taken down and re-erected at the east end of the modern front. It is of two storage, Ashley-faced and gabled.
The Bullens originally owned the the Old Manor House on the Street opposite the Church. It was purchased by Simeon Bullen who died, in 1822. In 1852 John Bullen, his son, was owner and in his will of that date left the western end of his three houses to his great nephew John Bullen Symes, who added Bullen to his name and became known as Colonel Bullen. Colonel Bullen sold it on 22nd January 1889 to Miss M.A. Miller when all the windows were latticed., Unfortunately Miss Miller had these removed. Colonel Bullen left Charmouth and purchased Catherston Manor, where he lived until his death. The eastern portion was owned by Colonel Bullen`s uncle Captain Charles Bullen R.N. who died in 1884.
Catherston is famous for its Stud which was started in 1949 by the late Lt Colonel and Mrs Jack Bullen. With five farms making up the 1000 acre estate, two of which were farmed by Colonel Bullen, it left plenty of grazing near the house, as well as Stonebarrow (now owned by The National Trust) overlooking Lyme Regis Bay, for the stud grazing and, with two dairy herds and sheep, it was ideal for cross grazing. their daughter, Jennie Loriston-Clarke took over the running of Catherston in 1966 and has just recently retired.
The original manor house was sold and divided into units in the 1960s.

The Western Gazette of 6th February 1840 reported that "A large female whale was driven on shore at Charmouth yesterday morning, and secured by the preventive men, who have been allowed by Mr. Bullen , the lord of the manor, to exhibit for three days. It measures. 46 feet from the tail to the snout and 24 feet circumference."

Charities united in 1923 John Bullen was youngest son of Simeon who died in 1822. Simeon was grandson of William Bullen of Cathanger in Fifehead, Somerset. Who held an estate under the Wyndham family in the 17th century. He was Kinsman of Bullen Reymes, brother in Law of Wyndham. Bullen Reymes and Ellesdon helped Lord Berkley to escape after the battle of Worcester, which led Wyndham to come to Ellesdon to arrange for the escape of Charles II. The Bullens trace their ancestry from Simeon Bullen of Salle in Norfolk in the 13th Century. From him descended Jeffrey Bullen, Lord Mayor of London 1456, who was grandfather of Anne Boleyn. John Bullen`s eldest brother William Herbert married Mary Tatchell, whose daughter Eliza Fitzherbert married Wyatt Symes of Bath. She was mother of Colonel John Bullen Symes Bullen of Catherston.
John Bullen by will dated 16th Jan 1852 gave to the rector,,Churchwardens and overseers £100. The interest to be applied in the purchase of bread, to be distributed on the 20th day yearly to the poor.
John Bullen was the youngest son of Simeon,,who died in 1822. Simeon was grandson of Willaim Bullen of Cathanger in Fifehead,mSomerset,who held an estate under the Wyndham family in the 17th century. He was kinsman of Bullen Reymes, brother in law of Wyndham. Bullen and Ellesden helped Lord Berkley to escape after the battle of Worcester, which led Wyndham to come tomEllesdanntonarrange for the escape of CharlesII.
The Bullens trace their ancestors frommSimeon  Bullen of Salle, in Norfolk in the 13th century. From him descended Jeffrey Bullen,mLord Mayor of London,,1456, who was grandfather of Anne Boleyn.,
John Bullens eldest brother William Herbert married Mary Tatchell, whose daughter Eliza Fitzherbert married Wyatt Symes of Bath. She was mother of colonel John Bullen Symes Bullen of Catherston.
John Bullen or his father purchased the Manor of Marshwood of the late Lord Poulet
 
The Western Gazette of 6th February 1840 reported that "A large female whale was driven on shore at Charmouth yesterday morning, and secured by the preventive men, who have been allowed by Mr. Bullen , the lord of the manor, to exhibit for three days. It measures. 46 feet from the tail to the snout and 24 feet circumference."
1866
1840
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Charles Bullen Grave 1885