Click on Home
above to return
back, or click
on any pictures
below for larger
versions
A new book has been specially produced by the Bradford on Avon Preservation Trust covering the history of this remarkable Station and its buildings which were designed by the great engineer-Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
It is being launched on July 7th at £2.99 and can be ordered frome-mail :
neil@freshford.com
Frontispiece to the early
Plan for the Great Western including Bradford.in 1834
A Map of the Great Western Railway from London
to Bristol in 1834
Isambard Kingdom
Brunel
Railway Lines and Stations near to Bradford on Avon
Bradford on Avon in 1850 before lines were laid and Station opened in 1857.
Plan of extension from Bathampton to Bradford on Avon in 1845.
Frontispiece to the Plan to the plan for the Wilts, Somerset & Weymouth Railway which included Bradford on Avon in 1845.
The Bath Arms at Horningsham, near Longlet, Warminster where onthe 9th July 1844 first meeting of Wilts & Somerset Railway was held with major land owner-Walter Long as Chairman and I.K. Brunel as Company Engineer. This decision was eventually to lead to the railway coming to Bradford on Avon.
Basing and Bath (B & B) line was proposed in 1834, in competition to the GWR.If it had gone ahead Bradford would have no doubt had its railway by 1841 and not 1857. .
This print by Bourne shows track laying along the Great Western railway line near Bath.
A View of Bath by Everitt with a Firefly locomotive emerging from the covered station in 1846
View of Bath Station by Bourne in 1841. The roof covered all four tracks until 1897
A Map of Bradford and the surrounding area with the tracks by then finishing just past the Goods Shed after 1850
Twyford Station 1854
This station is almost identical to that of Bradford on Avon with its Jacobean design by Brunel. It gives one an impression of how our station would have looked at its opening with its Goods Shed in the background and Shelter on the opposite platform
Chippenham Station
in 1852
Isambard Kingdom Brunel painted by his brother in law - John Callcott Horsley in 1857 .
Pangbourn Station by Bourne. This Print gives an idea how Bradford would have originally looked as the building and shelter are very similar to Brunel`s designs for our station.
Sir Daniel Gooch was appointed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel as locomotive superintendent of the Great Western Railway at the age of twenty-one. He designed the finest locomotives of the period and in 1865 became Chairman of the G.W.R. and rescued it from bankruptcy. .
A Firefly Locomotive, designed by Gooch, which were amongst the first locomotives to be seen on the Bradford line.
Frontispiece to the Plan for the completion by Great Western Railway of the line from Bradford to Bathampton in 1854 with I.K. Brunel as Engineer.
(click on image to return back to home page).
A composite view of the Station at Bradford on Avon using Brunel`s drawings for a Wayside Station in 1843..
A view showing a section of the Kennet and Avon Canal from Limpley Stoke to Dundas Aqueduct, Claverton in 1850
The Plan for the Great Western Railway route through Bradford linking it to Bathampton in 1854
An abstract from the Act of 1854 dealing with the extension from Bradford to Bathampton
An engraving produced for the Illustrated Home a few days after the opening of this branch of the railway on February 2nd 1857. In the background is the Dundas Aqueductat Claverton with enthusiatic spectators watching the Firefly speeding past on its way to Bath.
A view from Brown`s Folly, Bathford looking down on to Bath. The Artist - Elizabeth Tackle used her imagination to visualise a completed line, but by the time it opened in 1857 it was only single line and was not doubled until 1885. It shows clearly the line in the foreground curving into Bathampton Station..
A view of the Bathford Viaduct. The view today would be taken from the roundabout. The artist Elizabeth Tackle is comparing the speeding Fire Fly train with its counterpart the Horse Drawn Stage Coach.
Ordnance Survey map of 1886 showing the layout of tracks and buildings at Bradford.
A Firefly Locomotive emerging from a tunnel in 1846. this was the same type of train that was to be seen at the opening of Bradford station in 1857
Advert for F. B. Noris of Bradford on Avon. c.1890.
In the foreground of this old photograph of Barton farm and its great Tithe Barn is the original wooden bridge designed by Brunel which carried the railway over the Avon west of the station. A box girder bridge replaced the wooden bridge later in the 19th century and itself was replaced by a more modern bridge.
The Goods Shed , now the site of the main Station Car Park in its hey day c.1870 with the Broad Gauge tracks.
Notice concerning the Conversion from Broad Guage to Standard in 1874
Conversion from Broad Gauge to Standard in 1874
Navvies at work converting Brunel`s broad gauge in 1874
Redundant broad gauge locomotives lined up at Swindon ready to be scrapped in 1874
The great event of the year 1879 was the holding in Bradford of the 20th annual show of the Kcevil and District Society- The show was held in a different town or village each year.
The Railway Station, 1897. The station staff and travellers are frozen in a moment in time as they pose for the photographer at the local station. This must have been during Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
The Goods Shed , now the site of the main Station Car Park in its hey day c.1870 with the Broad Gauge tracks.
At first service in the armed forces in the First World War 1914-1918 was voluntary and any firms encouraged their employees to "join up". In this picture we see workers from Spencer Moulton's giving volunteers from the firm a big send-off from Bradford railway station.
This shows the E Company (Bradford on Avon) of the Wiltshire Rifle Volunteers marching over the bridge on their way to camp in 1903, wearing the new khaki uniform and slouch hats adopted during the recent South African War and the new "Moonrakcr" badges.
Railway Station Staff, c. 1910. This undated photograph shows the compliment of staff at the local railway station. This postcard view was probably taken inside the goods shed where the full staff is pictured, from the station master to the porter. With the ending of goods traffic at the station in 1965, the shed was removed and the site has now become a part of the car park.
.no. 3223 outside the Good Shed, now the Station Car park in 1926
Bradford-on-Avon Signal Box, c. 1920. This is a photograph of the signal box that controlled the goods yard at Bradford-on-Avon.
6849 "Walton Grange" with a Sunday parcel train emerging from the tunnel by Greenland Mill Bradford on Avon in 1961. The Greenland Mill signal box disappeared when the Level crossing was fitted with automatic barriers in November 1966
No 7024 "Thornycroft Hall" arriving in Bradford with a Salisbury Train in 1963
Speed to the West - 1939
This poster by Charles Mayo shows a "King" class locomotive on a holiday train for the west country
Star Class Locomotive no. 4056 Princess Margaret entering Bradford on Avon hauling possibly a Bristol to Portsmouth train..
Castle Class 4-6-0 no.7015 Carn Brea Castle (82A) possibly on a Portsmouth or Weymouth train. It is passing the Bradford on Avon Goods Shed and in the distance is the signal box..
Churchward design 2-600 4300 Class 4MT No.6386 passing Bradford on Avon with a down freight. This locomotive is leaking plenty of steam from various places but is still doing a grand job, going well..
Collett Class 2251 3MT 0-6-0 2268 (82D - Westbury) crossing over from the down line to the upline so the container wagon could be deposited in the goods yard( note the sidings signals).
No.4472 Flying Scotsman at Bradford Junction hauling a Warwickshire Railway Society Special.
No.4472 Flying Scotsman passing under the Aqueduct carrying the Kennet and Avon Canal, at Avoncliff hauling 1278 an Ian Allen Rail Tour which came via Devizes, Bradford Junction and Bradford on Avon.
County Class 4-6-0 1027 County of Stafford 1225, possibly a Mystery Excursion.
Castle Class 4-6-0 No. 7029 Clun Castle train 1X84 an excursion organised by the Stephenson Society passing Bradford on Avon. Note the Railwayman`s allotment in the background.
Engineering work at Bradford on Avon. Collett 3MT 0-6-0 Locomotives no. 2269 at the Up platform, no. 2205 in the Goods Yard.
Note: the two young train spotters on the platform, two platelayers resting against the Good Shed wall, shovels and coats on the railings.
no. 1410 at Bradford on Avon with the area known as New Town on the horizon.
The 9.03 saturdays only from Portsmouth to Cardiff passing behind no. 5998 "Trevor Hall" on 14th July 1951 at Bradford on Avon with the station in the distance
Hall class no. 775 locomotive at Bradford on Avon with the Signal Box in the distance and Goods Shed in the foreground
no. 4959 Purley Hall, built in 1929 at Swindon.The first shed allocation was at Westbury. Notice the rare glimpse of the Crane in the Goods Yard, now the Station Car Park. It was withdrawn in December 1964 and scrapped at Buttigieg's, Newport.
The GWR Pannier Tank Engine in Bradford on Avon station built in 1932, Most of the '5400' class had been withdrawn by 1960 due to the introduction of the diesel railcar. It was to be immortalised by the Rev. Awdry as "Duck" in the tales of Thomas the Tank engine
GWR Tank Engine no. 5523 at Barton Farm, Bradford on Avon
GWR Pannier Engine no. 3692 on down line, 2 coach train at Bradford on Avon.
GWR no. 2842(2-8-0) , built between 1911-1913 on down line hauling freight under Frome Road Bridge at Bradford on Avon.
GWR 4968 Shotton Hall. Built December 1929. Converted to oil-firing May 1947 and renumbered 3900. Reconverted to coal March 1949. Withdrawn July 1962. Scrapped at Cashmore's, Newport. It is leaving Bradford on Avon Station en route to Bath
A GWR Pannier Tank 5406 in Down Platform on 1 Coach Auto Train. The Goods Shed and Yard can be clearly seen in the background.
5065 Newport Castle. Originally built as Upton Castle, July 1937. Withdrawn January 1963. Scrapped at A. King & Son, Norwich.This photograph taken on the 9th September 1961 shows it hauling the down "Torbay Express", not carrying the headboard, at Holt Junction. The fireman is putting the single line token for the Devizes branch on the hook.
GWR no. 7011 Banbury Castle. Built June 1948. First shed allocation Bristol, Bath Road. Withdrawn February 1965. it is shown leaving Bradford on Avon with a Portsmouth to Cardiff train
no. 4647. built 1943 at Swindon and was withdrawn in 1962. The '5700' (0-6-0)class of light goods and shunting engines were the largest of any one class produced for the GWR totalling 863 engines. It is shown here between Bradford on Avon and Avoncliff.
A 2-10-0 9F freight Locomotive no. 92118 running light through Bradford on Avon towards Bath.
A local train hauled by a 2-6-0 locomotive crossing the River Avon at Bradford on Avon near Barton Bridge
A Castle Class 4-6-0 at Greenland Mills crossing. The train is the "Merchant Venturer" diverted from Chippenham via Melksham, Holt Junction, Bradford Junction and Bradford on Avon to Bath, then on to Bristol Temple Meads and Weston Super Mare.
The 10.30a.m. Cardiff to Portsmouth Train entering Bradford on Avon hauled by the Hall class 4-6-0 5924 Dinton Hall (82B) on the 22nd October 1955
Standard Class 4MT 4-6-0 no.75007 (85c) crossing over the up road to the down road, at Bradford on Avon on the 11th Sptember 1955.
Wallworth Hall (4-6-0)at the up platform, with a down train, at Bradford on Avon on 11th September 1955.
Wallworth Hall (4-6-0) crossing from the up road to the down road at Bradford on Avon on 11th September 1955..
4968 Shotton Hall was built at Swindon in 1929. The last shed allocation was Bristol, St. Philip's Marsh and was withdrawn in July 1962 and scrapped at Cashmore's, Newport. It is shown here leaving Bradford on Avon Station en route to Bath.
No. 7829 Ramsbury Manor leaving Bradford on Avon in 1964
No. 2908 ( class 2-8-0) was built in 1905 and was withdrawn in 1960. It is shown here at Bradford on Avon by the Goods Yard, now the Station Car park.
The no. 6168(2-6-2) was built in 1935 and withdrawn in 1962 . It is shown here leaving Bradford on Avon Station
The no. 4551 Tank engine was built in 1915 and withdrawn in 1958 . It is shown here at Greenland Mill Crossing near Bradford on Avon Station.
Bradford on Avon station in 1960
A British Rail Warship Diesel Hydraulic B42 , built during 1957-8 at Bradford on Avon Station on down Cement train in 1967 .
Bradford on Avon Station c.1965.
.Bradford on Avon Station c.1980
Bradford on Avon Station in 1966 with Goods Yard (now station Car park). On the right is the Signal Box which was closed the same year.
The Sulzer-engined, Brush Type 4 locomotive (D1613 (47033) pulling freight in 1967 by Barton Far. This locomotive still survives at Gloucester.
TheD 602 Hauling the down "Royal Duchy" at Holt Junction, coming off the Devizes branch and handing the single line token to the Signalman. Type 4 AIA-AIA Warship Class, D602 Bulldog on the 9th September 1961.
The down "Cornish Riveria Express" leaving the branch from Devizes at Holt Junction, and giving up the single line token to the signalman. Loco D841 Roebuck (type 4 Warship class) on the 9th September 1961.
British Railways 3010 Class 44 or Sulzer type 4 "Peak" were built between 1959- 1960 at Derby. It is shown on parcels at Bradford on Avon Station c.1967 .
Hymek Diesel VO , built between 1961 -4, at Bradford on Avon Station c.1964.
Hymek Diesel Hydraulic locomotive(4T07), built between 1961 -4, on down freight. This Cement train was seen at Bradford on Avon c.1964.
Hymek Diesel Hydraulic locomotive(D7008), built between 1961 -4, up afternoon train was seen at Bradford on Avon on 16th April 1964.
The Royal train conveying HM the Queen and Prince Philip from Staverton ( where thye spent the night) to Bath, at Bradford on Avon on 9th August, 1973. The Locomotive is no. 1058, Western Nobleman.
In 1933, the Great Western Railway introduced this Diesel railcar. Here it is seen at Bradford on Avon. This a most unusual coupling of two vehicles normally they were coupled back to back, so the driving cabs were facing outwards. These two were coupled tail to nose.
These sets sometimes had a coach sandwiched between them and were used between Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth and return. this was the afternoon return service from Weymouth.
.
The "Orient Express" (VSOE) Victoria to Bristol at Bradford-on-Avon.
The British Railway Sulzer Type4 Peak D20 (45013) at Bradford on Avon Station in 1967.
.The British Railway Sulzer Type4 Peak D86 (45105) at Bradford on Avon Station in 1967. This Locomotive survives at Barrow Hill, Derbys)
The British Railway Sulzer Type4 Peak D20 (8V15) at Bradford on Avon Station in 1967.
Bradford on Avon Station in the 1930`s with workmen on the line, notice the covered walkway over the bridge.
The up afternoon Parcels train in Bradford on Avon Station with the Goods Shed in the distance c. 1964.
Bradford on Avon Station in 1981.
Peak Class 4 ICO - COI no. D87? train 3004 parcels Train alongside the Goods Shed (demolished 1965).
British Rail Intercity DMV passing Barton Farm in Bradford on Avon Station on its way to Cardiff on the 22 nd September 1967.
D1909 down Brush Type4 Diesel(Z61) with mixed freight going under Frome Road Bridge as it enters Bradford on Avon Station the 16th April1966.
British Rail Brush Type4 Sulzer Diesel(D1812) in 1967 entering Bradford on Avon Station with the Goods Shed in the background. The Signal Box opposite had been demolished by then.
British Rail Hymek Diesel c.1965 entering Bradford on Avon Station with the Goods Shed covered with snow in the background. The Signal Box opposite can still be seen before its demolition in 1966.
British Rail 3 car D.M.V. W50650, 59256, 50708 passing Barton Farm on the 22nd September 1967.
.
Bradford on Avon Station with covered bridge over platform c.1960
Hymek Diesel on 2E53 down freight pasing Barton Farm with Bradford on Avon Station in the background.
"Western"Diesel D1024 GT10 light engine passing Barton Farm with Bradford on Avon Station in the background
.IN37 " The Devonian" Paignton to Bradford, Forster Square. Due to a landslip between Bristol and Taunton all trains from the west to stations in the north and vice versa were diverted from Taunton to Bristol via Westbury and Bradford on Avon and bath. As most local trains were cancelled to enlarge the diverted traind to pass, some were stopped especially to give a local service to passengers for Bath and Bristol. "The Devonian" was stopped at Bradford on Avon for this purpose. as far as I am aware, this is the first occasion when a passenger could board a train at Bradford on Avon and travel to Bradford in Yourkshire without a change of train en route.
D7029 Mixed Freight pulled by a Hymek Diesel on 5B70 under Frome Road Bridge, Bradford on Avon. The photograph was taken on the 15th April 1966 and the snow can clearly be seen in the cutting.
Hymek Diesel Locomotive(5729) with freight passing Barton Farm in Bradford on Avon.
Bradford on Avon Station c.1960 . Note the stone Chimneys removed and partly rebuilt in brick..
Hymek Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive on Barton Bridge, Bradford on Avon next to the crane.The photogarph was taken of the P.W. train on Sunday 19th February 1967.
British Rail Cross Country Diesel, Multiple Unit down at Barton Farm,Bradford on Avon c.1966.
East of Bradford on Avon, the branch from Bathampton joins the line from Thingley Junction, near Chippenham, to Westbury. The line from Thingley divides to form a triangular junction, with one connection the original main line-heading towards Trowbridge and Westbury, and the other curving round towards Bradford. Signalman Mervyn Hadbrook on duty at the signal box at Bradford Junction. It was the last ex- GWR box in use in Wiltshire before its demolition.
The Bradford on Avon Signal Bo xbuilt between 1885-90. It was closed in 1966 with Victory field in the distance. The concrete cones from the second world war can still be seen alongside the track.
Bradford on Avon Station in 1963 with the Goods yard to the left where the car park is today.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A Sunday diverted HST Locomotive entering Bradford on Avon station .
.Diverted HST Locomotive entering Bradford on avon station under the Frome Road bridge . Note the signal BJ102 operated from Bradford Junction Signal Box.
.
A British Rail Class 47 diesel locomotive, also known as a Brush Type Four entering Bradford on Avon station .
A diverted parcels train at Bradford on Avon Station.
High Speed Train at greenland Mills Level Crossing on 15th April 1977 from Weston Supwer Mare to Paddington.
HST passing through Bradford in 1979.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Fire damage on August
9th 1980
.
A class 150 no. 150221 at Bradford on Avon Station heading for Bristol Temple Meads
.
.
.
.
.