"Bow House". An attractive house with thatched roof, with a large garden, stables and coachman's cottage. In an old photograph the house had bow windows, hence its name one supposes. In 1867; Fred Penny's father was tenant paying a rent of £19-15-0. Fred Penny was born on 3rd.December 1867 and lived in the house until he was 14 years old. He had lost both his parents and was looked after by his grandmother. It was sold by auction by Driver & Co. at the same time as the factory. A later occupier was Tom Rough, and he was followed by Diment, a coal merchant, owning his own horses and wagon. A postcard of more recent times shows a sign board that it was a tea room kept by Reeves. In or about 1930 Mrs. Angus purchased the house and her gardener occupied the cottage.
Fred Penny was apprenticed as a carpenter at Street in Somerset for several years before joining a building firm at Bournemouth, where he stayed until his marriage in 1897 with Mary Rebecca Rowe. When he returned to Charmouth he took on a job at Rousden, where the Vicarage was being built, working each day, for 6d an hour. He soon became a keen supporter of all village activities. He played cricket for Charmouth; was Hon.Sec. of the club and was Hon.Treas. of the Football club. He was chief mover in obtaining a Playing Field and one of the original members of the Village Supper Committee. Whenever any village function was on he was always found the gate money. His first gate was on Whit Monday 1898, which was the last "Club Day" held in the field opposite "The Court". The next important gate was the "Summer Market" to raise money for building the Church Hall. From 1898 he took all money at the school and Church Hall and from 1920-24 at "Lamberts Castle Races". Since the opening he took all gates at 'The Playing Field"as long as his strength and health allowed. He took a Collecting Box at local football matches and was always at the Gate of all Conservative sales and Whist Drives, He died in October 1957 aged 90.