A History of St. Andrew`s Church, Charmouth
Click on image or on Home to return back.
Displaced, Tall Upright Curved Top.
Sacred/to the memory of/THOMAS J SNOWDEN/of the Coastguard Charmouth./who died February 16 th 1870/aged 43 years/"Rejoice in Hope"
1861 Census for Coast Guards:
4; Coast Gd Station; James David WILLSHIRE ; Head; U; 31; Master R.N. Chief Officer Coast Guard; Preston; ; F4P1
5; Coast Gd Station; Joshua CLARK ; Head; M; 30; Coast Gd service; Devon; ; F4P1
5; Coast Gd Station; Harriott CLARK ; Wife; M; 23; Coast Gd wife; Burton; ; F4P1
5; Coast Gd Station; Thomas JERVIS ; Nephew; ; 4; ; Burton Bradstock; ; F4P1
6; Coast Gd Station; Thos. Jervis SNOWDON ; Head; M; 34; Coast Gd service; Devon; ; F4P1
6; Coast Gd Station; Susan Annie Jenny SNOWDON ; Wife; M; 28; Housewife; Devon; ; F4P1
6; Coast Gd Station; Frank Augustus SNOWDON ; Son; ; 17m; ; Charmouth; ; F4P1
7; Coast Gd Station; John LAWLER ; Head; M; 29; Coast Gd Station & Service; Hants; ; F4P1
7; Coast Gd Station; Jane LAWLER ; Wife; M; 26; Housewife; Hants; ; F4P1
7; Coast Gd Station; Mary Jane LAWLER ; Daur; ; 6; ; Hants; ; F4P1
7; Coast Gd Station; John Edward LAWLER ; Son; ; 1; ; Bridport; ; F4P1
7; Coast Gd Station; Alice LAWLER ; Daur; ; 7m; ; Charmouth; ; F4P1
8; Coast Gd Station; Dennis COLLINGS ; Head; M; 61; Coast Gd Service; Ireland; ; F4P2
8; Coast Gd Station; Ellen COLLINGS ; Wife; M; 68; Housewife; Ireland; ; F4P2
8; Coast Gd Station; Michael COLLINGS ; Son; U; 29; ; Ireland; ; F4P2
9; Coast Gd Station; William CARTER ; Head; Widower; 53; CGS ; Devon; ; F4P2
9; Coast Gd Station; Mary Ann CARTER ; Daur; U; 21; Dressmaker; Charmouth; ; F4P2
9; Coast Gd Station; Elizth Jane CARTER ; Daur; U; 20; Housekeeper; Charmouth; ; F4P2
9; Coast Gd Station; George CARTER ; Son; U; 12; Scholar; Charmouth; ; F4P2
10; Coast Gd Station; John Henry DAVEY ; Head; M; 38; CGS ; Ireland; ; F4P2
10; Coast Gd Station; Mary Ellen DAVEY ; Wife; M; 36; Housewife; Bridport; ; F4P2
10; Coast Gd Station; John Henry DAVEY ; Son; ; 8; Scholar; Hants; ; F4P2
10; Coast Gd Station; Mary Ann DAVEY ; Daur; ; 6; ; Bridport; ; F4P2
10; Coast Gd Station; Jane DAVEY ; Daur; ; 4; ; Hants; ; F4P2
10; Coast Gd Station; Alice DAVEY ; Daur; ; 2; ; Hants; ; F4P2
10; Coast Gd Station; Matthew Leslie or Leslee DAVEY ; Son; ; 3m; ; Charmouth; ; F4P2
11; Coast Gd Station; William BRICKELL ; Head; M; 64; Coast Gd Chief Boatman; Kent; ; F4P2
11; Coast Gd Station; Mary Ann BRICKELL ; Wife; M; 50; ; Essex; ; F4P2
11; Coast Gd Station; Emile Averile BRICKELL ; Daur; U; 19; ; Charmouth; ; F4P2
11; Coast Gd Station; Sophia Ann BRICKELL ; Daur; U; 12; ; Charmouth; ; F4P2
11; Coast Gd Station; Alice Jane BRICKELL ; Daur; ; 9; ; Charmouth; ; F4P2
|The Well Head called Bruton House until 1928 Mrs. snow den lives at one time, she was the wife of a coastguard and lived in the Excise houses opposite the Mill until her husbands death. Captain grant of Langmoor came to live with Mrs Snowdon and died there. He was buried with full naval honours by the coast guards and was buried in the churchyard.they used to be a large stone anchor on his grave.,|
|The coast guards and excise officers were originally housed in the houses opposite the Mill, now known as Mill View. The Admiralty later rebuilt the Inn in Sea Lane and built a row of coastguard cottages below. The inn was called the New Inn and the last last landlord was George Paine. The license was transferred to the Royal Oak c.1867. The coast guards cottages were owned by Richard Hodges and let to the Admiralty|
|The Coastguards cottages were built in 1867 by Richard Hodges and then leased to the Admiralty. On the left is the skittle alley from the pub that formerly stood there and whose license was transferred to a former butchers on the Street which was renamed "The Royal Oak".|
| For a long period the Government had fought their endless battle against smuggling before they replaced the familiar Excise men and revenue cutters by the Coast Guard under the Admiralty in 1856. at Charmouth the old order provided incidents as picturesque as any seen elsewhere: such as the adventure of Mrs Hodges brandy. The Excise men, if single, were lodged in the row opposite the Mill, now called Mill View; married men had to live elsewhere. From Mill View they were moved to the Coastguard Cottages in sea Lane, when the license of the Inn, which then stood there, was transferred to the Royal Oak. The Inn had a skittle- alley which ran along the garden wall and ended in the present small isolated building on the lane. This little room was used by the Coastguard as an armoury; and a cannon- ball used to surmount the gate-post leading to the cottages. The iron standard from which the Inn sign was hung remained fixed in the wall until recently. The small window which has since been made looking into the lane marks the site of the inn cellar.
The Excise men occupied the cliff slope immediately west of the Cement Factory. Here they built the little octagonal lookout, fortunately still standing, and put up a flag-staff on a plot behind it. These were held at will from the 10 th of June, 1855, from Mr George Frean at £3 a year.
With the passing of the Coast Guard Act in 1856, the Admiralty took over the establishment. The officer in charge at Charmouth was Benjamin Simpson, Master R.N., who held the appointment since the 3 rd . September 1851. His predecessor was Lieutenant Charles Partridge,R.N., appointed non the 28 th January .1847. From this it will be seen that Naval officers were filling these posts, and that there was a station at Charmouth before the actual transfer to the Admiralty took place. The title deeds of the cottages would have been transferred to the Admiralty in consequence of the Act of 1856. The earliest record at the Admiralty of the houses at Charmouth is a lease dated 17 th May 1878 for 21 years from 25 th March, 1878, made between the Admiralty and the trustees under he will of the late John Hodges at a rent of £50 a year. When this lease expired it was renewed for a further term of years from the 25 th of March 1899, at the same rent, the lessee then being Richard Hodges. The station was abolished in 1909, and was surrendered to the landlord in consideration n of the payment by the Admiralty of £150.
In 1891 the rent of the look-out house and flag-staff became payable to J.J. Coulton and an agreement was entered into on a yearly basis in 1895 at its former rent (£3 a year). The Admiralty determined the tenancy on the 29 th of September 1909.
While they were in Charmouth, the Coastguard formed a useful and attractive element in the life of the village. They were forward to lend a hand wherever they could be useful. Was bunting needed for a village festival, the Coast supplied it; they supplied the cool-headed and skilful- handed aid to guide and control the blazing tar-barrels when they careered down Charmouth Street on Guy Fawkes night; and their unofficial activities in their degree were perhaps as beneficial to the nation as their public duties were essential.
In 1801, John Oliver, Master R.N., wrote to Captain Boteler R.N,. Coastguard Station, Lyme Regis, During the last war with France, a Privateer chased a Brig past the Town to the Westward within half a gun-shot of the batteries, when there was not a gun serviceable to defend her, and the enemy captured her near Seaton. A small battery of three guns opposite the Cobb and another at Charmouth under the direction of the Coastguard service would be very desirable in the event of war. Perhaps this was the origin of the gun kept by the Charmouth Coastguards on the West cliff. It was kept in a shed above the Look-out house; and it used a 6lb. Shot. A target was fixed in the sea at about 300-400 yards range; and the shot was retrieved at low water and used again.