A History of St. Andrew`s Church, Charmouth

(10) Rectory
Click on image or on Home to return back.
 
Rectory was built in 1828. According to Miss Simms. It was built in a field. The drive was through the churchyard and tombstones removed and placed against west wall of church yard. This would have been glebe land as was the Tennis Courts Field. In July 1938 Mr. W. Mills found chalked on beam in the roof. W.Burge, Clifton, Bristol 1827. Former Rectors lived in House below Church and Horses Audain was living in Mable House 1783. 
Detached house, formerly rectory, c 1835. Stone walls, stuccoed. Low pyramidal
slate roof with projecting modillion eaves. Square plan. 2 storeys. 3 windows,
sashes with thin glazing bars. Crown glass. Front door at centre of east
elevation, 6-panelled, early Cl9. Semi-circular fanlight with good curvilinear
glazings. Door jambs with matching panelling. Reeded, pilaster door surround
with square wooden impost blocks. Attached stone front steps with simple iron
railings.

Attached coach-house with lias rubble walls, stone quoins and brick dressings.
Hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, c 4 windows, sashes and one dormer. 2 wooden
doors and carriage doors at centre.

 

 

 
The Rectory was built in 1828, according to Miss Simms it was built in a field. The drive was through the Churchyard and tomb stones removed and placed against West Wall of  churchyard. This would have been Glebe land as was tennis courts field. A new Rectory House of good dimensions has been lately erected - Roberts 1834. In July 1938, Mr Mills found chalked on beam in the roof - W. Burges, Clifton, Bristol 1827. Former rectors lived in house below Coach and Horses .
Audain was living in Mabel House 1783 - rates Book. Joan Mabel married Joseph Bragg in 1673 . The rectory is not mentioned in the Valor 1291. It is a discharged living, in Bridport Deanery.